Gone

The sun was shining over my face sooner than I had hoped it would. I had drifted off to sleep at some point unknowingly and I woke up with Rin still snuggled against my neck fast asleep. I knew I had to get up, but I really didn't want to. This was the most peace I had felt in a long time, but I need to make my escape before someone comes to visit.

I slowly started to slide myself out from under Rin's head, letting it fall onto the pillow softly. I turned my head before standing up and gave her a small friendly kiss on the forehead. "Wake up soon, okay Rin?" I smiled at her still sleeping face.

I pulled myself off the bed and fixed my clothes, taking one last look at Rin before heading for the door, but just as I was about to grab the handle, the door slid open and Asuma was standing in front of me.

"Good morning Asuma" I said cheerfully. I put both of my hands between my head and smiled and slid through the doorway past him. I wasn't going to let him or anyone else ruin my day after the night I had. I knew he was pissed that I had been in Rin's room. I looked back at him, still standing in the doorway as I walked away, chuckling silently to myself.

"K...Kakashi..." He stuttered, stopping me in my tracks. The tone of his voice wasn't anger, but surprise. I turned around and looked at him once again with a puzzled look on my face.

"When did she wake up...?" He had turned to look at me now, his eyes were glistening with tears building up. I had never seen Asuma cry in the almost 11 years that I had known him.

"She didn't, she's been asleep all night." I said now walking back toward the room. Just because I had been in there with her, he assumed that she had woken up and nobody told him? Sure, I wasn't on good terms with him, but I still wouldn't have let that happen. I know how much he loves and cares about Rin.

He turned back to investigate the hospital room.

"Kakashi?" Rin's voice came through the door. I practically tripped over my own feet sprinting back to the room, stopping right next to Asuma who was standing there in shock. Rin was awake, she looked a bit beaten and bruised with the dark bags under her eyes and the spacey look on her face, but she was awake.

Asuma seemed to come to his senses long enough to scream down the hallways behind us. "NURSE ROOM 114 HURRY!" As we both stumbled into the room and to the side of Rin's bed. She smiled at both of us weakly, wincing as she was trying to sit up even slightly.

"No, just stay laying down." Asuma said as he placed a hand on the front of her shoulder, slowly lowering her back onto the pillow. "You are in no shape to move just yet."

Her eyes moved to me and she let out a small cough. "Thank you Kakashi." Is all she said before the nurse came through the doorway holding her clipboard. Her eyes wide with disbelief as they met Rin's.

"I...I...can't believe it..." She stammered with her right hand almost covering her mouth. "We didn't think she would even make it through the night, let alone...actually wake up..." We backed away as she walked over to the bed, putting her clipboard down on the chair that I had left there, and placed a single hand over Rin's forehead. The light green glow from her medical ninjutsu covering her hands. "Hold still dear, this will only take a moment." We all stood quietly while she did her job.

After a few minutes, the nurse removed her hand and smiled over at us. "She's going to be just fine." She said happily before turning back to Rin. "You will need plenty of rest still, we won't be discharging you for probably another few days, if not a week, so you sit tight and relax."

Rin nodded slightly, still smiling. "Thank you, ma'am".

The nurse took her leave and left the three of us alone again. I was too focused on the fact that Rin was awake to remember that Asuma was even standing next to me until he walked forward to her side, sitting down next to her. He couldn't care less about the fact he was angry with me for even being here, right now the girl that he was in love with was alive and that's all that mattered to him.

I smiled at Rin again before turning to take my leave so that they could be alone, I'm sure that he would like to have some privacy with her and after last night I owed him that much. I walked to the door and slid it open.

"Kakashi, where are you going?" Rin said weakly from across the room. Asuma was looking over at me as well. I turned around and looked at her smiling. "I just figured that I would give you both some time together is all, I'll come back later don't worry." I was planning on coming back much later tonight when Asuma had gone home for the night. I don't want to spend much time in a room with him either, but I also would like some time alone with Rin and that would only happen after visiting hours.

She had a puzzled look on her face as she stared at me. "Why would you do that?" she asked. She looked over at Asuma next to her and then back to me. "Are you two fighting again..." she sighed lightly. "I swear you two will never get along."

Now I was the one who was confused. Asuma and I hadn't really been what I considered 'friends' in a long time, we barely saw each other in passing anymore. Matter of fact, this past few weeks is the most I have seen him in almost a year.

Asuma looked back at her. "What do you mean, Rin? Kakashi and I haven't really spoken in over a year."

The puzzled look returned as she looked back at him. "No that can't be...You two would never go that far with your little fights." She was thinking hard about what Asuma had said. "Why aren't you speaking though?" She asked him.

He looked back over at me and I could tell that he was just as confused as I was. "Well..." he looked back to Rin. "It's really my fault...I didn't like the way that he was treating you when we started dating, so I cut ties with him..." He sounded almost ashamed of that fact. I hadn't known that he was the one that cut our friendship short, I always thought that it was the distance that I created. I never even assumed that there would be any other reason for us to just start ignoring each other.

Rin's face was that of shock. She pulled her hand away from Asuma's, apparently, he had taken it in his when he had sat down. Rin had the glisten of tears in her eyes as her eyes met his. "What are you talking about?!" She was trying to sit up again. I couldn't tell if it was the pain that was making her eyes water or the realization that her feelings were the reason that our friendship ended.

"It's okay Rin, don't bother with all of that now. I don't feel badly toward the situation anymore." I smiled, trying to defuse the situation before it even became an issue. I didn't need her to be upset right now.

She got herself onto her left elbow, breathing more heavily than before from overexerting herself. Her expression changed from confusion to anger quickly before she practically yelled...

"We are NOT dating!"

—————————————
DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN
I wasn't planning on writing this part or the next one so bear with me on this.

Don't forget to drop a vote or review!
Love y'all!
.........