The Truth

The sun rise came beaming through the tree branches above where I was laying, shining on my face. I groaned and tried to roll over and shield my face from the annoying light.

THUD!

"What the hell Kakashi!" Obito was rubbing his head where I had kicked him when I fell out of the tree.

I could hear Rin giggling across the field. "I thought ninjas didn't fall out of trees Kakashi, where is all of the chakra control that you always talk about". She was teasing me. She loved to pick on me when I was vulnerable. Then again, I kind of deserve it since I boast so much.

"Sorry Obito". I lifted myself up, brushing off my clothes. "Wait a minute...It's morning?!" How do I keep sleeping so long? Shinobi are supposed to always be alert, even when sleeping.

Obito still was rubbing his head where I am sure a large knot was forming. I almost actually felt bad about landing on him, but he probably will deserve it later anyway. Obito sat up and put on his signature pair of goggles. He was always so paranoid about his eyes, making sure to protect them at all costs.

"Oh, you're awake". Minato-Sensei appeared seemingly out of nowhere. "I just got done scouting the area, we seem to be safe for the time being, we need to get going if we want to make it to the village before nightfall".

"Why didn't you wake me up for guard duty Sensei? You should have gotten some rest before the mission". I sounded like I was scolding him. He found that to be quite funny because he let out a chuckle.

"Well I did get some sleep while Obito and Rin were still on guard...But I was actually alert enough to hear them return...unlike someone".

I sighed. I don't know what is wrong with me, this isn't like me at all. I am so obsessed with following the rules, the way of the shinobi, and being the perfect ninja. Maybe the exhaustion of it all is catching up to me. I couldn't even keep myself from falling out of a tree!

"Don't worry to much Kakashi". Minato said with a smile. "You all need as much rest as possible before we begin our mission, I will be fine".

He seemed more confident than he was yesterday. Maybe talking about it helped him a bit. I felt a little better knowing what the mission was and what was going to be expected of us. I can't honestly say that I wasn't more afraid of what may happen than I was when we left Konoha, but not knowing wouldn't have helped us at all.

I let out a large yawn and stretched, walking over to Rin.

"So, what is with you and Obito anyway". I asked casually as if this was a normal conversation to have with one of my best friends. We never really had one on one conversations; it was always while she was standing with Obito.

I looked up just as her face got bright pink. The purple strips of color on her cheeks that signified her as a medical ninja seemed brighter next to the color surrounding them, her beautiful brown shoulder length hair never seemed to lose its luster even in the heat of battle.

"W-W-What do you...mean?" She looked at the ground with a slight smirk on her face. I could tell she was hiding something immediately.

"Yeah alright, it's okay y'know...I don't care, I just want to make sure that he's treating you right is all". I started to walk away, shoving my hands into my pockets. If she liked Obito who was I to stop her? It's not like I expected her to have any feelings for me, especially because I wouldn't know what to do about someone as good as her liking me. I would screw it up anyway.

I'm better off being alone.

We began heading toward the village hidden in the rain, keeping ourselves directly behind Minato-Sensei. I stayed the furthest back in case of a rear ambush, Obito in front of me as back up, and Rin directly behind Minato-Sensei in case of injuries she would be the most protected. As a medical ninja that can preform immediate medical ninjutsu, you always keep them the safest.