19. Chess

"And you lost your knight, sister

"And you lost your knight, sister." Jace said with a proud smile on his face as he was waving the small piece of chess in front of Visenya's face. The girl watched her brother, a stoic expression on her face as she watched how he placed the piece aside of the chess board.

The young Princess could only remember clearly how her father taught her strategies and tactics. She could see him right now, in Jace's place, explaining everything to her once again.

"Life is like a chess board, especially in our family, Visenya." He would often tell her while pointing to her pieces. "It's not hard to see our family being divided, the kings are your mother and Queen Alicent." He said pointing to the teams. He looked at his pieces that were opposite hers. "The Queen on the board is Otto Hightower, the one that makes the most moves and is the strongest." He said showing the ways the queen piece moves. "The second most strongest pieces of Queen Alicent are her twins." He said pointing to his bishops. "And her knights are Cristen Cole and Aemond." He pointed out and Visenya nodded.

Even if she liked or not, the Princess knew that the Targaryen house was divided, and she would have to fight for her mother's claim to the crown and the Iron Throne. "In our family..." Daemon started pointing to her pieces. "I am the Queen." He said looking at her. "I have a lot of power, demanding respect and fear so your mother can succeed." Visenya nodded understanding and agreeing with his words. Then Daemon pointed to the bishops. "The bishops, are you and Jace." He said and Visenya looked up to meet his eyes. "As the two first borns, you two are the main sources that will continue the line of our house, and probably our strongest fighters." He explained.

"I understand." She said calmly while nodding. Daemon raised an eyebrow, eyeing her as he tried to make sure of her words.

"I hope so..." He said as he started to move the pieces and then leaned in his chair with his arms crossed in front of his chest. "Because in this life, we most likely face difficult decisions." He finished and Visenya frowned at his words. But when she looked down at the board, her eyes widened when she saw two bishops, hers and his, on the same diagonal. She watched the board and noticed how her father placed the pieces in such way that if Visenya doesn't take the opponent bishop, then her King would be in danger. The young Princess understood the message and what her father was wanting from her. 

When the time would come, would she be able to fight against the twins, the two people she loved and cared for, to protect her family?

Visenya placed her hand on her bishop, her cold fingers wrapping tightly around the piece as she made the move. "Trust me father, I am capable to make hard decisions." She said serious as she leaned in her chair, placing her hands on her lap. Daemon looked at the board, noticing her bishop being placed where his was, and when he looked at her, he saw his bishop being placed in the palm of her hand. 

The Rouge Prince smiled pleased of his daughter. "Then daughter, I guess you might guess what Lucerys role is." He said gesturing to the left pieces. Visenya looked at the board and with a heavy heart she picked up her knight and looked at her father to see him nodding.