Where Our Kind Belongs

Day 10

Eve woke up the next day in Adam's arms. She looked up at his peaceful face, admiring how handsome he looked while he slept. She could wake everyday like this and she would be perfectly happy. She didn't want to disturb him, but she also wanted to see his smiling face.

Stroking his cheek lightly, Eve called to him in a soft voice.

"Good morning, Adam."

His eyes fluttered open, then he smiled at her, grabbing her hand in his and bringing it to his lips.

"Good morning, Eve." He said groggily.

"What do you want to do today?" She asked.

Adam pulled her into a hug, sighing contently against her hair.

"I think we can take the day and just relax. We don't leave until tomorrow so we should just enjoy our time and rest up before we need to go on our way." He said.

Eve hesitated, trying to decide if now was a good time to bring it up.

".....am I going to help the resistance?" She asked.

Adam looked down her, his expression unreadable.

"That's up to you." He said simply.

Eve frowned at him. "It's not just up to me, Adam. I care what you think too. I......I really care about you and, if we intend to stay together, my choices affect you too."

Adam seemed to consider this.

"I guess it does. I don't want you to have to go back to your old life, locked up in a lab with no freedom. I suppose my answer would depend on what the resistance would need from you because I really care about you too, Eve." He said after a moment.

Eve nodded, understanding. "Maybe we could talk to David about it, together."

"Alright. I suppose that's a start. We can do that later though. For now, I just want to lay here with you for a while." He said, closing his eyes and leaning his forehead against hers.

Eve smiled. "Sounds like a plan."

There was a pause as Eve suddenly thought of a question.

"If you could have a normal life, what would it look like?" Eve asked quietly.

Adam opened his eyes and he stared at her thoughtfully.

"When I was a younger, I always wanted to have a life just like my parents did. A wife and kids in a house out in the country somewhere." He said.

Eve smiled. "That's sounds wonderful."

Adam hesitated, then reached up and tucked her hair behind her ear. Eve shivered as his fingers brushed her neck, goosebumps breaking out all over her skin.

"What about you?" He asked softly.

"I never really had the chance to think about my future. My life has never been normal, even before all of this happened, but......I like the future you described. It sounds simple and peaceful." She whispered, blushing when she realized what she had said.

Adam smiled at her. "Are you saying you would want that life.......with me?"

Eve stared at him, her heart racing. After a moment, she finally nodded.

Adam's smile faded, his eyes staring deep into hers and making her shiver. His hand reached up again, sliding behind her neck and making her head tilt backwards. His eyes shifted down to her lips longing as he let a out a long breath. Eve waited in anticipation, desire bubbling up inside her. Adam finally kissed her and she sighed, a small sound escaping from her. Instead of deepening the kiss, Adam held her softly, his lips moving painfully slow as he seemed to savor the feeling. After a few minutes, he pulled back to look into her eyes again, a fire blazing behind them.