Eight

✨Damian✨

I slept in a separate room with Marina, but I had to face her either way.
I found her seated on the bed, in her night clothes with a tear-stained face. She got out of bed when she saw me.
"Oh Damian, I was worried you did not come back the whole night." She said. "Are you okay?" She asked touching my face.
"Yes I am okay, Marina, I want to go to work," I said removing her hands from my face.
"I am sorry I hit you, Damian. I just did not know what to think when you said you wanted a divorce, I love you Damian, and I do not want you to leave me for another woman, I promise I will try to make our marriage work." She said wiping the tears on her face.
"Marina, I am not leaving you for another woman," I said trying to brush off the thoughts of Dr Myra. I was attracted to her alright, and I tried to blame the situation I was in. I was not able to think clearly, but what I knew was that I cannot continue with this marriage.
"I just want space Marina, there is no attraction between us and I do not want to be tied down and also you by unrequited love, it would be so unfair for both of us," I said trying to reason out with her.
"Damian, I will do anything for you, just do not leave me." She said.
"It's not about you doing anything, it's about us, and there is no us in our marriage, there has never been, Marina," I said. "It has always been me alone, trying everything, being entirely committed, and it's tiring, please Marina try to understand," I said.
I took my suit from my closet and went to change in the other room. I left her there to think about what I had said.

***

I met with Enzo and Andrea after getting their call. They had found something about this shadow man.

"Now what do we have?" I asked. While sitting on my office desk. Enzo handed his laptop and all the information about the man was displayed on the screen.
"Damian? What happened to your face?" Enzo asked, making Andrea turn his attention to me.
"Is it that bad?" I asked. It stung after washing my face with cold water this morning.
"Wow," Andrea said. "It's really bad Damian what happened." He inquired.
"Marina, but I do not want to talk about it right now," I said.
"She did that?" Enzo asked, and I nodded. I was glad they did not press it. I went through the information on the laptop, going on to every page.
"So his real name is Griffin Murray and he uses shadow man to cover up his underground businesses, that is smart," I said.
"I agree, because before you find all that, we had to hack his information systems, thanks to Santino, we would still be stuck," Enzo said. I nodded.
"I have not seen any information about his family, or love life," I said. The Mafia men all had wives or girlfriends who were either government officials, businesswomen, or even models.
"Yes, nothing about his personal life is displayed, seeing that he operates behind closed doors, he could have a family away from all this Mafia thing, kept away safely," Andrea said. That could be a point. The Mafia was not a safe place, especially for people who were not raised in it, but if you could manage to protect your loved ones, then the better. I closed the laptop after writing down his contact information.
"I will call him later and we shall see how it goes, if he agrees we can set up a meeting with him. The earlier the better." I said. They both nodded.

"Marina refused to give me a divorce," I said after being silent for a while.
"Really? What did she say." Enzo asked. I knew they wanted me to share with them so why not. They knew everything that went on in my life, not like the other men.
"She said she will commit herself, and she will do anything I want her to." I shrugged.
"Wow Damian, I had no idea it would turn out this way," Andrea said.
"Me too," I said. Me too I thought.

We had been married for five years now, and those five years have been a disaster. Going back to how I met Marina, I did not know how I fell in love with her. She was charming of course and also attractive, and that drew me to her. Our problems started earlier but I ignored them thinking that, that was normal until I could not stand it anymore. I would usually and often fantasize about being without her, and how it would have been to just be without her.
I wouldn't think that my men knew about my problems, they occupied the other part of the house so that I and Marina had our own house and my men had theirs, but whenever there were important meetings, they would all meet in the conference rooms in my house.

The whole day went by doing paperwork and trying to keep my mind off of things, but with Enzo and Andrea here, it was easy, especially with Andrea. He was a goofball but he hid his real self behind that and Enzo was the serious one whenever I do something without thinking he would be there to offer advice or even guidance. He could have been a shrink, I almost laughed at that.

We did a lot by the time the day came to an end, we had checked all the documented shipments that were arriving by sea, arms, and also some drugs, though the drugs were not the illegal ones. They were medicine for my men because we do not usually get treated at normal hospitals. We also had our doctors. The arms and drugs were all registered with a fake government stamp making It easy to smuggle them. We also had our people working in the government, they were our eyes, noses, and ears. Whenever trouble arises with the FBI or the police, they would take care of it, but we dealt with the most here.

It was a job that I had done ever since I was Eighteen after my father appointed me as the next Don, he trained me in every aspect and when I grew up I perfected them, and that led us to being the most powerful and also feared mob known by other mobs and maybe normal civilians would know about us through stories from the newspapers or maybe the televisions.

We finished the paperwork and we drove back home.
"We are here if you need anything," Andrea said patting me on the shoulder.
"I know," I said and went inside.

Damian fighting!!

Vote, add a comment, and also share!

Thank you for reading!!