Thirteen

Damian

After a few days, the divorce papers were delivered to my office by Robert. I went through them and just saw what I would be giving Marina, a share of my properties, and the house. I agreed with all the terms of the documents except giving her this house I was staying in. I had grown here, my men stayed here and to move them around to another house would be an inconvenience to them and also me.
I could give Marina any house that she wanted, but not this one. I had called in Enzo, Andrea, and my nanny to act as the witnesses for the signing. They had all sat in the office with my lawyer and the nanny had sent someone to call Marina.
A short while Marina came in.
"Damian, what is all this about?" She asked the moment she stepped into the office.
"Sit down my child, it's a few things we want to talk about," Nanny said and she sat down. I had discussed it with my nanny and she agreed with whatever I was about to do.
"This file contains the divorce papers between you and Damian go through it and if you find anything that you do not agree with it point it out and we shall discuss it. Otherwise, you can sign your name on it." Robert said handing her the file.
Marina just sat there. Looking at me and then at the files with widened eyes.
"What? No, no, I do not want a divorce Damian, I thought we discussed this." She said. She grabbed the file and removed the papers scanning through.
"Yes, and this is what I want," I said.
"Malena and you agree to this?" She asked my nanny.
"Listen, my child, it's for the best the two of you need to have a break, there has never been anything good that came out of your marriage, it's always arguments. Try to think about yourself, what you truly want." Nanny said.
"No! What I want is to be with Damian. Malena you should know about the things that happen in marriages, you have been married for years now." Marina said.
"Yes, I know there are arguments and conflicts that happen and they are solved, but yours... the two of you just never agree," Nanny said.
"So because we are having arguments mean we can have a divorce?" She asked. I swear this lady.
"I am sure there are other things that you and Damian discussed," Enzo said. Marina looked at all of us.
"Damian is this what you have decided? To just leave me, I told you I would do anything you want, I can be your slave if you want." She said tears welling up in her eyes, but I was not in the mood for her crocodile tears or anything she had to say. I just wanted to get over this.
I took the papers from her and signed them, then handed them back to her. She looked at the papers and tore them in half and threw the pieces.
"I am not going to give you a divorce, Damian! If you think this is the way for you to get to your side piece then you are wrong!" She yelled and ran out of the office.
"Marina," I called after her but she had already disappeared. I slammed my hands on the table furiously, I had not anticipated this.  But with the kind of woman, Marina is. I started pacing in the room.
"Damian, calm down. She will eventually come around it." My nanny said and the others agreed.
"Prepare another divorce paper, Robert," I said.
"Yes... Yes sir." Robert said and headed out.
"Damian, you know your dad and mom wanted you to be happy in the future, they had anticipated seeing their grandchildren, but.." My nanny trailed off.
I nodded I did not want to remember that incident it just made my heart ache.

"Why don't we go out and have a drink, Damian, to help you relax." Andrea offered and I agreed.

The three of us drove to one of our clubs. There were not a lot of people there since it was during the day. We sat at the VIP part and just drank quietly. I was thinking of everything that had transpired this morning.

****

"Suzanne I need a strong drink or else I will die." I heard someone say.
"The strong drink will be the cause of your death. God forbid." The other one said, causing them to laugh.
"Ooooh, beautiful ladies," Andrea said.
"Too bad we have a married man amongst us," Enzo said. They both brought their glasses together and chortled.
"I am not in the mood for your teasing," I said.
"You can look at them if you want," Andrea said pointing his glass beyond me. I turned to look.
"Myra?" I asked. More to myself but it came out loud.
"That is your therapist?" Andrea asked with widened eyes.
"Sshh, they could hear you, you know," Enzo said in a whisper. "She is gorgeous." He added.

This was not helping my situation, so I decided to ignore them and just drink. Myra and her friend sat at a table just a few feet from us. We could not hear what they were talking about. Myra, Myra I thought she is always beautiful in casual clothes and also in official clothes, she was just so beautiful. I drank a few more glasses, the night was coming and people had started coming into the club. Andrea and Enzo excused themselves, they said they needed redemption and they could not get it if they are stuck with a married man.

After drinking, I decided to go to the washrooms. As I walked down the hallway, I heard someone talking.
"Where is the washroom for ladies." The person asked, and the person sounded frustrated so I decided to help since I was here and the club was mine anyway. 
"On your left down the hallway," I said. The lady turned to look at me.
"Myra? Sorry, Dr Myra." I said and she smiled, that breathtaking smile. She was drunk, but not that much.
"Damian, what are you doing here?" She asked. She walked to me holding herself on the walls.
I shrugged. "Just having drinks with friends," I said. She nodded.
"Do you need help getting to the washrooms?" I asked.
"Yes, please I'd appreciate." She said. "I have never been here before, so am sorry if I am inconveniencing you." She added.
"No, not at all," I said I was glad for this.
There were no people in the washroom when we arrived there. I let her get inside but she leaned on the wall. We were both silent. I looked at her and she did the same, I walked slowly to her and she did not remove her eyes from me. I trailed my fingers on her beautiful face and removed the strands of hair on her face.
"You are so beautiful," I said. Her breath hitched. I trailed my fingers on her lips and she just looked at me. She batted her lashes, removed my fingers from her lips slowly, placed my hand on the side of her face, and caressed her face on my palm, down to her neck, then she let go of my hand slowly.
"I am so sorry Damian, we cannot do this." She said and left abruptly.

We cannot do this? Did it mean she felt the same way I did? I could not get it. I run my fingers through my hair frustrated or excited and exited the washroom, and decided to go home. I needed to take a cold shower.