Fifteen

Damian

Marina's dad decided to come to Italy just to talk after hearing about our divorce. I did not expect his presence, I just thought that I would be speaking to him through the phone.

"Welcome, Leonardo," I said. We were seated at my office sipping coffee that my nanny had made. I had known him since I was a child, he was my father's closest friend and I respected him because he was old enough to be my father and he had also raised me. He still held power but not as much as I did.
We talked a little about the organization and everything that was going on before diving into what had brought him here.

"So you and my daughter," Leonardo said. "Why do you want to break your union son?" He asked. I sighed and I went on telling him of all my problems with Marina,  and I was hoping that he would understand why I did not want to continue with our marriage.
"Do you have anyone in mind to replace my daughter?" He asked.
"No, I just want to take a break and rethink my life," I said. I was not going to tell him anything concerning Myra, not to anyone else except my two friends. He nodded and looked at the far distance.
"You know it was your father's wish to see you get married to my daughter." He said.
"I do not know about that, and my nanny did not tell me anything concerning that," I said.
"Malena does not know anything, Damian, it would be a disgrace to your father when you bring another woman here." He said. I sensed the anger in his voice, though he tried to hide it.
"What I know is, my father would want to see me happy, with a person I truly love," I said trying to be calm.
"You truly love? Marina is the one you should truly love. You are happy with Marina, she is doing everything for you and she said she would commit to the marriage. What else do you want Damian?" He asked furiously getting up from his seat. I had just heard enough of him trying to defend his daughter, I was married to her and I knew what she was like.
"Mr. Leonardo if you have nothing else to say to me, you may please leave," I said also getting up from my seat and heading for the door.
"We are not done with our discussion Damian." He said.
"But I am. So please leave. The divorce papers will be brought to my office tomorrow." I said and opened the door for him. He shook his head and walked out. I slammed the door behind him. Hell. I had the right to do whatever I wanted and to make the decision I saw fit for my life. If I had children, it would have been another case.
I expected Leonardo to understand and whatever made him angry. If he thought he could talk me out of my divorce from Marina, he was wrong. I was not in love with Marina anymore neither was I attracted to her.

I just hoped that when the divorce papers arrive, she will be ready to sign them. A knock came on my door.
"Who is it?" I asked angrily.
"It's me, can I come in?" My nanny said and I opened the door for her. She came in and sat down, and I proceeded to sit beside her.
"What did he tell you?" My nanny asked. I told her how he tried to talk me out of the divorce and everything he had said about how my dad wanted me to be happy with Marina.
My nanny shook her head.
"I have never liked that man," Nanny said. "Even if he was a friend of your father's, there was just something." She added, shaking her head.
"What do you mean?" I asked, getting curious.
"I do not know Damian, but time will tell, it could be that my conscience is wrong or I am just worried for you." She said. I was not getting a hint of what she was saying so I stayed silent.
"Oh, and I am excited to see you bring someone else into the house." She said and I involuntarily smiled at that.
"What are you saying, nanny," I said avoiding eye contact.
"You know what I mean." She said forcing me to look at her.
"I am very proud of you Damian, whatever you do, I will always be proud of you no matter what.   And I am glad you are getting rid of Marina." She said.
"Nanny?" I said feigning surprise.
"I have never liked her anyway." She shrugged.
We talked for a while and Enzo and Andrea joined us. We were all reminiscing about all the things we did when we were children. Nanny was always there, she watched us grow and she was like a mother to all of us.

I was informed that Marina had left with her father, and I was glad, I could breathe with just her not being around and her absence would give me time to think about everything I wanted for my life, or whom I wanted to spend my time with or even my life.

Comment on what you think!

Many updates today!