Chapter Twenty-One

Fallon's pov

I could still feel his lips on my cheek as I followed Eli inside the house. It was different from when he kissed me on the lips. It felt more innocent and...timid.

Asher's house was enormous, lifting three stories up with a rooftop and a balcony. His lawn stretched a good few feet away from the house and I noticed how it was painted in a white-gold theme. But before I could hold down the thought, it surfaced.

Why can he be richer than you and still be loved by so many people while you get hated for the same reason?

The house was air-conditioned and as soon as I entered after Eli, I was met with a golden furball, tackling me to the ground.

"Whoa," I yelped as my back hit the tiled floor and a black, excited pair of eyes peered into mine, a snout in between them and just when I realised what was on top of me, the golden retriever gave me a wet lick on my cheek making me laugh out loud. I managed to push myself up onto a seated position but the adorable dog didn't let me get on my feet and I didn't mind at all.

My hands found the lower part of its neck and started scratching it, "Aw, aren't you handsome?". It gave a friendly bark and started playing with my hair, dripping saliva all over me and a giggle bubbled out of me.

"He likes you," Asher's voice said and I looked up to find him and Eli standing in the hallway, "You look really good by the way". My eyes switched to Eli's and before they turned to the dog, I noticed how sour he looked.

What's his problem?

"What's your name, boy?" I asked the dog, ignoring Eli's glare. The dog barked again and lifted his head, attempting to lick my face again. Something glinted from among his golden fur and I took the collar around his neck between my fingers, handling the cool metal as it gleamed in the light.

"Barney?" I read the tag and his tail wagged wildly. My chest felt like it was going to burst.

Cuteness overload.

I gave him one final pat before getting up on my feet and brushing myself off. I peeked up at the two friends that were heading back to the living room again, Eli's arm draped lazily around Asher's shoulder. A smile tugged at the corner of my mouth. They were like brothers. And suddenly I wondered.

Did they have something dark in their lives the way Eli did?

Maybe it was that dark thing that connected them all with understanding, solace and familiarity. I walked further inside after them, Barney making sure to keep up with me fast enough to give my hand occasional touches and taps with his nose. Asher's house was magnificent. The space was lit brightly with a chandelier in the centre with small lamp-like bulbs lightening up dim corners. A huge cabinet occupied almost half of the room, its windows allowing anyone to observe the many medals and trophies he'd won over the years. It didn't feel like it was done out of snobbiness or hot-headedness. It was clear that the display was only an innocent intention of his proud parents who wanted everyone to know how perfect and talented of a son he was.

Unlike you.

There were a few floating shelves on the walls, bearing pictures of him with his family but mostly the golden retriever. My heart warmed as I studied the memories. Dead but alive. A moment captured in a frame secured forever.

"Took you long enough, amare" I was met with a soft but firm hug and Eli rolled his eyes. Wren pushed me back, holding me at arm's length and letting her eyes travel up and down my body, the grey of her pupils making me think of midwinter stars ebbed ever so slightly in cement.