Chapter 54

With quick strides, I was in front of him, and his face was hard as stone.

" It was you!" I charged him." You canceled my application, huh?"

Deep down I was hoping for his denial, but it never came, and eventually, his silence answered my suspicion. Tears brimmed my eyes; anguish overpowered my sense.

How quickly he broke my trust like it was built in a day as if it was easy to earn. He let one unfavorable probability swallow the entire euphoria which took us a great amount of time and effort to gain. I swam to reach the coast and he, in the blink, pushed me into the abyss. Now I was shattered into a million shares, all the while believing that he would never break my trust.

" Why? Why did you do it?"

He held my shoulder as his eyes swirled into heavy emotions.

" I did it for us."

I laughed. And it wasn't a laugh of joy rather laugh of malice.

" You did it for us? No, you did it for yourself, Aiden! This is how you had everything under control? Do you realize, you were going take away my dream, my father's dream." I pushed his hand from my shoulder and pushed his chest with my other hand, but he didn't stumble. " You knew how much important it was to me. We could have found a way, but no, you went behind my back and betrayed me."

Tears broke free as mistrust and disappointment prospered in my chest.

"Emerald, I am sorry I just wanted you to stay with me here, I was angry and hurt. I didn't know what to do, so the first thing that come to my mind, I acted recklessly on it without thinking of the consequences." There was solid desperation in his voice.

And that's why he was drunk last time because he knew what he has done was wrong and he couldn't bear the aftermath.

My face turned red.

" Everyone, literally everyone warned me about you, about your selfishness, I always overlooked it because all I could see was the person who was fighting his own battle, I saw you as someone who would never break my trust because you knew what scar it left. In my eyes, you have always been perfect, Aiden.... Now I don't know what to think."

" I am sorry I didn't know what I was doing I was scared that you would live me here and forget about me." Tears clouded his forest eyes, his emotion was laid open, unprotected. My chest was constrained to breathe. He was scared, does that mean he could ruin my life?

I had already decided last night that I will decline this internship in the end, if I didn't succeed to change his mind. He was more important to me than anything. It was my choice, my decision, however, he snatched it from me. I put him first and he put his selfishness first. He doesn't have the right to choose for me, whatever it was, it was supposed to be my decision. But he went behind my back, and did the worst thing, he chose for me. If today, I look pass of it, what about the future? What about me? Will he do the same thing again, steal my rights for his greed? I have always forgiven him for his mistakes, weather he been rude to me or hide things from but this time he stole my right for me, could I forgive him for that? I leave my mother for being independent, I hate being controlled and he had done exactly, he tried to control my life.

" I never wanted to break your trust; I was just scared to lose you. Believe me, Emerald, it was never my intention to hurt you, I love you." He spoke softly.

My face hardened.

"Do you? Do you love me? Because what I know about love is that it's not selfish, it's not controlling, it's not demanding."

A tear slipped from his eyes; I clutched my fingers into a vice fist at my sides form wiping that stray tear on his face. The turmoil in my heart increased.