Prologue - Arjun

Prologue

Death by a thousand cuts

ARJUN

If I had to list my least favorite events, weddings would top the list.

Indian weddings – the mere mention of it made my skin crawl. The constant nagging from relatives and friends about my own marriage, the blingy and over-the-top dresses that one was expected to wear, and the endless ceremonies that seemed to stretch on forever—all of it made me cringe. 

The pressure to conform to societal norms, to find a partner just for the sake of it, it's suffocating. I'd rather be a lone wolf my whole life than be dragged into the maddening chaos.

I knew I couldn't miss Ayan's special day. We had been best friends since childhood, and he wanted me to be there to support him as his wingman. Juggling between the  immense burden of work in Mumbai and the fear of running into my father in Delhi, and I could hardly find time for all the functions, so I carefully picked only the marriage ceremony to attend. 

Amidst the preparations and endless conversations, that mostly involved me trying to convince Ayan that marriage is nothing but a trap for fools to enjoy regular sex, I vaguely remembered the name of the bride from the invitation card, my attention was more fixated on expensive wine that came along with it.

So here I was, in the midst of Ayan's lavish wedding in a farm resort in Delhi. I felt overwhelmed by the opulent surroundings. The ivory and gold decor was undoubtedly beautiful, with lilies and roses adorning every corner. The plush sittings and the main stage looked like something straight out of a fairytale – thanks to Ayan's mother's obsession with extravagance. I found myself wondering if we were attending a wedding or starring in a Bollywood movie.

Suddenly, Viraj appeared by my side and gave my shoulder a friendly pat."I made a bet that you wouldn't show up, but here you are, my man!" He chuckled, teasing me in his usual manner. "Ayan was missing you terribly at his bachelor's party, you know?"

I laughed, shaking my head at their antics. "Well, I couldn't miss my best friend's dooms day, could I? Plus, I had to be here to witness your drunk dance moves!" I teased back.

Kavya, who was on Viraj's arm, smirked playfully. "Oh, you have no idea what you're in for tonight, Arjun!" She winked.

Viraj and Kavya had been my childhood friends. We had all gone to the same school, and Viraj, now a successful author, was one of my closest confidants, right after Ayan. Ayan, Viraj, and I were inseparable, our bond strong enough to withstand anything life threw at us. Kavya, on the other hand, had taken up yoga classes in Delhi, attracting the attention of elite circles.

I smiled back at him, glancing at Kavya on his arm. "You guys look great together. When did this happen?" I asked, genuinely surprised by the revelation.