27. New Romantics

Chapter 27

Chapter 27

New Romantics

Adira 

Being a high circle wife is like starring in a reality show with a script written by Jane Austen and directed by Shakespeare.

Since morning, I've been standing in my stilettos in the lobby, plastering fake smiles on my face  to welcome the guests arriving at the haveli. They all come through the pick-up service we arranged, and I literally find myself asking about their baby pet's health and answering questions about the brands I'm wearing. It's exhausting, to say the least.

I had made small talk and tried to be the perfect hostess, but felt like a puppet, putting on a show for everyone else's enjoyment. The constant need to maintain appearances and play the role of the dutiful daughter-in-law is suffocating. All the while, my mind kept wandering to Arjun and the freedom we share when it's just the two of us.

My mother arrived in the morning too, and she has been busy greeting and welcoming the guests with her usual effortlessness.

Then, a sleek black Land Rover came and Viraj and Kavya stepped out, Ayan and I rushed to welcome them. Finally, some familiar faces amidst the sea of strangers.

Viraj greeted Ayan's parents with warmth and respect, "Ohh hello uncle and aunty, happy anniversary in advance! Aunty, you still look the same." Kavya chimed in, "And uncle's still fit and fine." They both touched their feet as a gesture of respect.

After greeting Ayan's parents, Viraj turned to me, giving me a side hug and air-kissing my cheek. "How are you, Adira?" he asked me. "Perfectly fine. How are you?"

"Wonderful"

 Then he moved on to Ayan, giving him a friendly pat on the back and indulging in their own talks about liquor plans.

I hugged Kavya as she greeted my mother, saying, "Hello, Auntie."

My mother smiled warmly and replied, "Oh, so you're Kavya. Adira told me a lot about you."

Kavya laughed "I must wonder what are the things she told you" and turned to me, "Oh my god, it's been such a long time since Goa. How have you been?"

I responded excitedly, "I'm good. I missed you. Tell me, how are your classes going? Spotted any hot guys again?"

Kavya joked, "After that one guy I told you about, there have only been a bunch of old aunties. I should probably keep that Zumba session going so that they visit often."

Viraj chimed in, "I heard that."

Kavya playfully replied, "I know. But I'll keep that in mind. You're not invited."

He just laughed off. Even Ayan chuckled.

I said, "Okay, let me take care of  your room keys and get your luggage sorted."