35. Better than Revenge

Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Better than Revenge

Arjun 

(Twelve years ago)

The house party was in full swing, with bright lights illuminating the scene and drunk people moving to the rhythm of the music. I fiddled with my phone, dialing Esha's number. She had mentioned she'd be late for the party. Viraj being the introvert he was, had chosen to skip the loud parties.

Esha had become increasingly demanding as days passed. She wanted more and more of my time. Dealing with my father's anger and my own responsibilities had been overwhelming. She served as a welcome distraction, but I hadn't really embraced the whole "boyfriend" thing yet.

As I stood there, a passing girl shot me a flirtatious wink. I responded with a confident smirk, raising my glass in a silent toast. With Esha still not answering her phone, I dialed her number once more, growing increasingly frustrated. Ayan's phone went unanswered too, irritating me more.

The relentless rock music pounding inside was starting to give me a headache. Deciding to step away from the noise, I made my way outside for a quick smoke. The cool night air provided some relief from the chaotic party.

Taking drags from my cigarette, I tried to find some peace in the smoke. But then, amidst the haze, I heard faint murmurs coming from a corner hidden by bushes. Curiosity getting the better of me, I cautiously approached the source of the sound, and there they were – Esha and Ayan, locked in an intimate conversation.

"No, Esha, we can't," Ayan's voice hinted his reluctance.

"Arjun wouldn't even know. He doesn't care," Esha's words hit me like a sucker punch.

I stood there, rooted in disbelief. My best friend and my girlfriend, engaged in a secret rendezvous. A surge of anger and hurt overwhelmed me.

"This is why you weren't picking up your calls?" My voice was laced with accusation as I confronted them.

They shifted away from each other, their guilty expressions a stark confirmation. Anguish coursed through me, clouding my thoughts and judgment. Without uttering another word, I turned and walked away, their hurried footsteps trailing behind me.

"Arjun, please, just hear us out," Ayan's voice was desperate, tinged with remorse.

I halted but didn't turn back to face them. "I don't want to hear your excuses," my own voice quivered.

How could they betray my trust like this? A sense of betrayal gnawed at my heart, and the images of them together replayed in my mind like a broken record. I tried to shake off the hurt and anger, but it was all-consuming.