39. Karma

Chapter 39

Chapter 39

Karma

Adira 

My body remained in the ballroom hall amidst the festivities, but my heart was adrift in sorrow, the loss of love pulling it towards Arjun.

Throughout the entire evening, I hadn't caught a single glimpse of him. He had mentioned leaving, and maybe he had actually done so. And yet, I had done nothing to stop him, to keep him from moving away from me.

The ballroom was a vision of elegance, decorated with vases of white and pink roses. The walls were draped with arches and motifs, while warm lights bathed the hall in a gentle glow. Plush seating arrangements were designated, each table with a card displaying the names of the guests. Silk cloths in shades of pink and white were adorned with floral decorations, elegantly draped across the ceilings.

The main stage was a collage of polaroid snapshots, chronicling moments from my in-laws' journey since their wedding. Live food counters, offering various cuisines, were in the courtyard. Even the outdoor space was decorated with charming lamps and twinkling fairy lights.

Despite the grandeur of the celebration, my heart remained heavy, overshadowed by the absence of the one person who had become my solace in the midst of chaos. Arjun's absence loomed over me, casting a shadow on what should have been a joyous occasion.

Ayan's parents, the guests of honor, stood at the center of it all, radiant smiles on their faces as they greeted their well-wishers.

I stood beside Ayan, playing my role as expected, yet the weight of my wedding ring and the mangalsutra around my neck felt like an unbearable burden. Amidst the sea of pink and white, my red saree stood out like a sore thumb.

"Smile, Adira. We wouldn’t want anyone to get the wrong idea," Ayan whispered, his arms lightly squeezing my shoulders.

I forced a smile for the guests engaged in conversation with Ayan. However, my gaze involuntarily shifted to Esha, who was present in the crowd. She was wearing a ruby necklace that looked all too familiar – it was the very necklace I had selected for myself as an anniversary gift when Ayan and I had gone shopping together. Here it was, adorning the neck of my husband's mistress. It felt like a twisted mockery of my choices. It was a reflection of the wrong turns I seemed to have taken.

The smooth music that had been filling the air abruptly halted as a loud screech echoed through the speakers. Conversations faded, and all heads turned toward the stage.

And there he was, Arjun, stepping forward with a slight faltering in his steps. Despite his confident demeanor, it was evident that he was under the influence of alcohol. He held the microphone in his hand, his presence commanding attention from all the guests.

Dressed in a black kurta and matching pants, he defied the event's theme, a true rebel as always. His sleeves were rolled up, and the top buttons of his kurta were undone. He looked so rugged yet so beautiful.