33. epiphany

Chapter 33

Chapter 33

epiphany

Arjun

"She cheated on me."

I opened the door, there stood Ayan. His appearance was a reflection of the trouble within him-rumpled shirt, disheveled hair as if he had been raking his hands through it repeatedly, and dark circles beneath his eyes. The words that tumbled out of his mouth struck me, momentarily freezing my racing thoughts.

"Esha cheated on me."

Relief washed over me that this was not about me and Adira.

But as he continued, explaining that it was Esha who had betrayed him, lots of emotions surged within me-sympathy, understanding, and a tinge of empathy for the pain he was experiencing.

"Come in," I gestured.

Breakups have a way of unraveling even the strongest of individuals, leaving them raw and vulnerable. We decided to call Viraj during Ayan's time of emotional upheaval.

Without further ado, I retrieved a bottle of whiskey and a couple of glasses. It was our ritual since college, a temporary escape from the ache that had taken residence in his heart.

After consuming a bottle and a half of whiskey, the room had taken on a hazy ambiance, and our conversations had grown more intimate.

Ayan's voice was undoubtedly laced with regret and remorse,"I feel so bad for cheating on Adira. She was such a beautiful woman. I am a fucking idiot."

Those words, uttered with sadness and guilt, resonated in the room. Ayan's vulnerability was laid bare, and his admission of wrongdoing was a mirror of the consequences of our actions.

I glanced at Viraj and we exchanged a subtle but knowing look. Viraj had gleaned the truth about Ayan and Adira's infidelity, a secret we had been privy to for some time now.

As much as Ayan's confession affected him, he understood the importance of supporting me, especially given my own deep feelings for Adira.

"That you are, a fucking idiot.", I said, patting Ayan's back. "I warned you, you shouldn't have started anything with Esha in the first place. But you were just listening to your sleazy dick."

Viraj's mischievous grin and raised eyebrows greeted Ayan's confession. "Well, well, well, Ayan," he quipped, "looks like you've been having some crazy adventures outside of the marriage, huh?"

I joined in, a playful grin stretching across my face. "Yeah, Ayan, you were always the over-achiever. Even in the 'extracurricular activities' department."

Ayan rolled his eyes, clearly exasperated. "Oh come on, guys, it's not like that."

Viraj leaned in, his tone dripping with sarcasm. "Oh no, of course not. But I must say, your multitasking skills are impressive - managing your job, being a husband, and maintaining a secret life."