8. Red

Chapter 8RED

Chapter 8
RED

ADIRA

“Come on, guys! It's the perfect day for some fun in the sun. We need to make the most of our time here. Beach day, everyone?”

These were the first words I heard when I woke up today in Esha’s high- pitched squeaky tone. She made her case for a beach day, naggingly persuading everyone to join in. This is how we ended up exploring the Calangute Beach. The air was filled with the aroma of salty sea breeze and the sound of crashing waves. The turquoise waters of the Arabian Sea shimmered under the sunlight, enticing both locals and tourists to take a refreshing dip. Swimmers frolicked in the gentle waves, while surfers rode the rolling swells further out. The beach was a haven for water sports enthusiasts, with options ranging from jet skiing and parasailing to banana boat rides.

Dotting the shoreline were colourful shacks and beachside restaurants, offering a delightful array of Goan delicacies and refreshing drinks.

I followed the group towards the beach, the sound of waves growing louder with each step. We set up our spot in the sand.

Ayan was about to head towards the changing room when I handed him the sunscreen. I said with a soft smile, "Don't forget to put this on before going into the water. I don't want you getting sunburned."

He took the sunscreen from me and nodded, "Thanks, Adira. I won't forget." His response was simple. I had always been the caring and attentive one in their relationship, making sure he had everything he needed. But lately, he was drifting away, like he had other things on his mind that he wasn't sharing with me.

 We quickly changed into our swimsuits. Esha emerged from the changing area in a provocative floral swimsuit. The colours of the flowers stood out against the contrasting black background, while the strings crisscrossed across her torso, accentuating her non- existent curves. When I gaped at her, she just said in classic Esha style, "I'm not here to please everyone. I'm here to be fabulous and unapologetically me."

On the other hand, Kavya opted for a more elegant and understated look. Her swimwear, in a lovely shade of olive green, draped gracefully over her figure. Viraj, with his tall and lean frame, had a naturally athletic build in yellow swim shorts. Arjun possessed a sculpted physique that turned heads wherever he went. His broad shoulders and chiselled chest were visible in the black swimming shorts. He wore matching sunglasses that added to his roguish charm. Ayan’s well-defined muscles rippled beneath his skin in his blue shorts, showcasing his commitment to fitness. I changed my outfit as well but covered myself with a white lace shrug.

” Last one in the water, will do the dishes tonight”, Viraj announced loudly. ” You’re on!”, in a flurry of excitement, Ayan and Arjun raced towards the water, the sand slipping beneath their feet.

I observed my friends laughing and splashing around, a smile tugged at the corners of my lips. Ayan and Viraj engaged in playful shoving matches, their competitive spirit shining through as they playfully tried to one-up each other. I set down on the sand to finish the novel I brought with me; my goggles perched on my head.