16. Enchanted

Chapter 16 

Chapter 16 

ENCHANTED 

ARJUN

The crackling flames of the bonfire danced in the night, casting a warm glow over the gathering. Another group had accompanied us to this trek. The sound of laughter and conversations filled the air, mingling with the sweet melodies of the guitar strumming nearby. In our eighteen years of friendship, I never knew that Ayan could play a guitar so wonderfully. But I also never thought that I would be assuring his wife about his cheating, that too after kissing her twice. We were a total mess.

Around the fire, our group sat together, forming a circle. My gaze flickered to the sight of Adira sitting next to Kavya, her white sundress glowing in the warm light. She looked like an ethereal fairy, radiating beauty and grace. All I could see was her.

Her laughter mingled with the crackling of the fire, and I found myself drawn to her 

The soft breeze rustled through her hair, and I couldn't help but be reminded of how her touch had felt against my skin.

Don't go there Arjun, we have a long night ahead of us.

But for now, I watched from a distance, content to admire her from afar.

I wondered how she was holding out her emotions. Adira was aware of the truth about Ayan. A sense of protectiveness washed over me. I wanted to be there for her, to support her through whatever challenges may arise. I realized that love had a funny way of entering our lives when we least expected it. 

I observed Ayan's interactions with Esha, and I noticed a noticeable distance between them. It seemed like he was consciously keeping a space between them. It was different to the closeness they had displayed before Adira. A cruel yet small part of my heart was grateful for his yesterday's rendezvous with Esha. 

I envied Viraj and Kavya, who were oblivious to the drama unfolding in our lives. But I had my suspicions that Kavya knew about my feelings for Adira.

I reached into my bag and pulled out the small notebook I had been carrying with me. It was something I had been meaning to do for a while now, a personal project that had been calling out to me.

Suddenly Esha suggested playing "Never Have I Ever," I let out, "What are we, fourteen?", raising an eyebrow.

However, as the game progressed, I found myself getting more involved, caught up in the laughter and shared experiences.

Kavya, always the one to lighten the mood, started with a funny situation. "Never have I ever accidentally walked into the wrong restroom," she declared, and we all laughed, recalling our embarrassing moments. I, Ayan and Viraj took a sip, our expressions mirroring each other, clearly remembering an incident when we young.

Next, it was Viraj's turn to ask a question. With a sly smile, he said, "Never have I ever kissed a stranger." Ayan, I, and Esha exchanged knowing glances, took a sip. 

“Et tu Brutus”, Viraj looked horrified at the sight of Kavya taking a sip of her drink.

When it was Adira's turn, she chose a simple question. "Never have I ever drunk texted my ex," she said, a hint of a smile playing on her lips. We all shared knowing looks, some of us remembering our own experiences of love's enchantment. We all took that sip.

Kavya nudged Adira playfully and exclaimed, "Ah, so our sweet Adira has a wild side too! Care to share any juicy stories?"

Adira blushed slightly, her eyes twinkling with amusement. She replied, "Oh, there may have been a few embarrassing moments. Let's just say love can make us do silly things." 

Ayan, never one to shy away from humour, asked a funny question. "Never have I ever eaten food that fell on the floor." We all sheepishly drank, even Adira, confessing our little secret acts of food indulgence.

And then, it was Esha's turn, a mischievous gleam in her eyes. With a calculated intention, she declared, "Never have I ever had betrayed my bestfriend’s trust." Adira's smile fades slightly, sensing Esha's intention to stir up trouble. My gaze flickered with concern. 

Fuck you, Esha!

A wave of tension filled the air as all eyes turned to myself, and Ayan. Her question seemed deliberately designed to sabotage the budding connection between Adira and me, putting it on the spot in front of Ayan.

In that split second, I decided to respond. I raised my glass and took a sip, remarking, "Well, that's because Esha has no bestfriends to betray." Ayan glanced at me, caught off guard by my response. I followed up by saying, "Oh, I meant in football, I have cheated a lot of times.” I attempted to diffuse the tension with a light-hearted excuse.

The game continued long enough. I took a deep breath, I vowed to protect what we had and not let anyone or anything come between us.

But deep down, I wondered the weight of Ayan’s glance at that moment.

 _______________《 ◇ 》________________

We continued our trek through the serene wilderness. The early morning air was crisp and refreshing. We supported one another, lending a helping hand when the path became steep or challenging.

The early morning environment added a touch of magic to our journey. The gentle rays of sunlight filtered through the canopy, creating patterns of light and shadow on the forest floor.
As we reached the breathtaking Dudhsagar Falls, a sense of awe washed over us. The cascading water, like streams of milk, glistened in the morning sunlight. The sheer force of the falls created a symphony of crashing waves and mist that enveloped the surroundings. It was a sight that could only be described as majestic.

Amidst the natural bounty, Adira admired the beauty of the falls. Her eyes shimmered with wonder as she whispered, "It's beautiful."

I couldn't resist looking at her, captivated by her presence. Her hair, touched by the gentle breeze, rustled in a rhythm, framing her face with a natural grace. The subtle glow of the rising sun accentuated her features, highlighting the sparkle in her hazel eyes, like liquid honey, holding a mesmerizing depth that seemed to swirl with hues of gold and amber and the warmth of her smile. We stood amidst the beauty of Dudhsagar Falls, but it was Adira who became my focal point. I was enchanted by her. Her simplicity. Her kindness. Her beauty. Her. All of her.

With a gentle smile, I replied, "Yes, it is beautiful." But my words were referring not to the falls but to her.

In that moment, time seemed to stand still as our gazes met and we shared a smile. The sound of the rushing water served as a backdrop to our silent conversation, conveying emotions that words alone couldn't express.

To say, I was in deep trouble was an understatement as the tangled web of love has clutched me.

.......

Happy Valentine's Day readers 💗
Hope you liked this new update!!