34. Anti Hero

Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Anti- Hero

Ayan

The gala dinner had concluded, but my heart was heavy with the knowledge of the impending parenthood.

Adira and I found ourselves standing in the garden, the soft moonlight casting a gentle glow around us. The beauty of the surroundings seemed to be opposite sharply with my mindset.

"I didn't know that Maa would reveal that in front of the guests," I finally admitted, my voice tinged with surprise. "I haven't even had the chance to tell her yet."

A realization struck me. Last night, the slip of information about Adira's pregnancy had left my lips in the middle of an argument with Esha. I furrowed my brow, a suspicion forming in my mind

Adira turned to look at me, her eyes holding a reassurance. "It's okay, Ayan. These things happen. Your mother has a habit of saying things at the wrong moment."

"You're right. She certainly has a unique way of timing things."

I looked at Adira and felt gratitude and regret. Gratitude for her understanding, for her willingness to stand by me even in the midst of our situation. And regret for the pain I had caused her, for the mistakes that had led us to this point.

"Adira," I began, my voice softer now, "there's something important I want to discuss."

She nodded, her gaze unwavering yet wary and tired. "Of course, Ayan."

I took a deep breath, my voice quivering as I finally found the courage to speak. "Adira, I know I've hurt you deeply, and I can never apologize enough for my mistakes. But there's something more we need to consider now."

Guilt gnawed at my conscience as I reflected on the choices I had made, repeatedly favoring Esha over everything else. But as I stood there facing Adira, I couldn't deny the truth any longer – she was a remarkable person. She might be willing to forgive, to give us a chance to start anew.

The past was marred with mistakes, and I owned up to them. Yet, the circumstances had shifted, and I was determined to change. Adira deserved more than what I had offered in the past. 

She looked at me, her eyes filled with pain and uncertainty. "What do you mean, Ayan?"

I swallowed hard, my throat suddenly dry. "You're pregnant, Adira. Our child... I can't ignore the fact that this baby deserves a chance, a family. I want to be there for both of you, to make things right."

Her gaze remained fixed on me, "Ayan, it's not that simple. We are barely acting as wife and husband. How could we be good parents?"

I nodded, my heart aching with the truth of her words. "I know, Adira. I know it won't be easy. But can we at least try? For the sake of this baby?"