Overlord of a High School (3)

Momonga froze, an expression of shock writ on his face as he looked at Miki, pondering exactly what he should have done at the moment, and how very different the Earth of the past was from his own past world. In his past world, the practice of adoption and even orphanages still existed, but not until the age of twelve. For at that age a child could well afford to work on the assembly line without additional problems, and thus be able to earn, provide for himself, and pay the bills – nobody wants to adopt a parasite. So orphanages function more like a cheap labor pool than a place for orphans to be adopted.

And they were the lucky ones.

Of course, there were certain age-related restrictions. After all, it was difficult for a child, unless he had inherited an apartment from his parents or had just been released from an orphanage, to find a place willing to rent them a room. As children were known to be forgetful and could easily set off a fire or similar disaster.

Momonga saw dead orphans with a certain frequency and periodicity – and more than once had to go around certain neighborhoods because of the work of the 'cleaners'. Especially during colder times or months of letting orphans out of their orphanages – but he was officially a year older than Issei, which meant he was already seventeen. He should be able to get a job easily in almost any job that didn't require connections or special education

Not that he wanted to work in an assembly line factory or as an office worker again, but for a few days, at least. Enough time to make up his mind about how the world worked and how he should behave in society, that would have been enough.

Adoption, on the other hand, was a very rare occurrence. Usually it was either when a rich person could not have children for some reason, which all the technology of his past world could not help. Or ceremonially, in the case of adoption into one of the rich families, as a reward or with some purpose in mind. Last, and very rarely, by the kindness of a rich man who might take a fancy to a random orphan.

Perhaps that was the point, though? Education in the past might have been extremely cheap, but only available to certain families or groups of people, and that's why Miki wanted to adopt him, to give him the opportunity to learn. In Momonga's past world, anyone could get into a school if they had the money and met the minimum requirements of the institution itself. If in the past, only certain groups of people could learn, Momonga might even be a little surprised that mega-corporations did something relatively good in this world. Where they made it possible for everyone to learn, regardless of status – though with regard to their money.

But no, Miki had said a little earlier that he had to be in school, hadn't she? So he must have belonged to one of those families... Ha, really, trying to pass himself off as a local in another world was really hard.

Momonga thought about it for a moment, then decided to take a risk. "Well, I have this..."

Whereupon Momonga pulled out from behind his back – to be exact, he created with [Create Greater Item] a copy of the documents he had managed to study a little earlier, using Gorou and Issei's documents as an example – something like the 'ID card' he had in his past world, only of a slightly different type. Of course, after replacing the important details with new ones that fit him.

He'll try to show Miki's documents, and if she starts asking questions that Momonga won't be able to answer, he could just wipe her memory using [Control Amnesia], then head to the adoption process with her. Huh, if they don't use body chip implants at this time – then what marking will be made to indicate his adoption? If they're going to brand or something like that - Momonga will need to scrutinize that branding for the future, since just one use of [Create Body] could easily change his branding, taking away his credibility.