Overlord of High School (24)

Momonga met the new morning awake, for quite expected reasons, and even in some strange state of calm.

He explained to Albedo and Shalltear the situation in this world, at least as far as he understood it himself. He had explained to them about the fact that there were dangerous opponents lurking behind the scenes in this world. That no magical beings were out in the open among humans, and that it was necessary for Albedo and Shalltear to hide their inhuman bits and powers from potential observers.

Had his instructions worked? Partially.

When asked why they should do such a thing by Albedo and Shalltear, Momonga had no answer other than 'no one had done it before, so it was best not to break precedent without getting information about this world'. Besides, Momonga couldn't be completely sure that humanity didn't possess any trump cards on its side at this moment.

Sure, the existing humanity was incomparable to Nazarick – but Momonga shouldn't underestimate a potential opponent if he didn't want to be unpleasantly surprised at some point in the future.

Weapons, for example. Yes, the damage from any modern rifle was negligible, they had checked. As, luckily for Momonga, Raynare had some firearms she had found on the black market, mostly magical, but she had some regular ones among her stockpile as well. So Momonga was able to run a check and a small test.

The damage from the pistol was negligible, and even the higher powered rifle barely did more damage, the damage from all firearms was so-so. Perhaps on the level of a bow shot from a tenth level archer? The high rate of fire made it a more powerful weapon, comparatively the DPS was about a bowman of the thirtieth level.

Still, it was hard to use modern firearms with any meaningful effectiveness.

After all, the one holding the weapon was human, he possessed only human levels of reaction speed and accuracy, using even an automatic weapon to destroy a Death Knight level creature, effectively expendable by Nazarick standards, was nearly impossible.

Translated into numerical value after applying a Death Knight defense, even a large-caliber sniper rifle was barely capable of inflicting a few points of damage. Modern weapons required multiple hits on vulnerable parts of the body, as much as such a thing exists on Undead creatures.

That is, without hitting armor or shield elements.

Even so, ten or twenty shots hardly did anything meaningful for a Death Knight. Even to take out one such opponent would require at least a hundred, if not more, such shots, in very close successions. In other words, entire teams of trained snipers and many, many perfect hits, might be able to take down one Death Knight.

And that's assuming that the Death Knight would just stand still and take the hit.

While in reality, getting even one attack on a Death Knight would be an achievement in and of itself. Even if the Death Knight were to run in a straight line, over a clear field with no cover of debris, and despite being such a large target, its massive tower shield would make shooting it almost impossible. Of course, if a human could even get a bead on the Death Knight.

Being a creature that is much more powerful and agile than ordinary humans, its sprinting speed is not something that a human could compensate for. And also, despite its large size, the Death Knight does not lack for mobility, covering great distance in large strides.

Many other factors would also need to be taken into account, such as the fact that the Death Knight was quite intelligent and was capable of using some tactics. Like running between cover, or being able to take advantage of paths inaccessible to normal humans. For example, it was not difficult for the Death Knight to break through walls on its way, or to make large leaps crossing buildings, easily getting closer to the target.