Overlord of a High School (5)

Momonga lightly made his way out of the principal's office before turning to Miki, who was following behind him, smiling slightly. A smile that Momonga returned, glad to have a chance at furthering his education, even if it had almost hit a snag in his meeting with the headmaster. "Thank you for your help, Miki... I mean, Mom."

Momonga wasn't sure exactly why Miki had suggested for him to call her 'mother', especially when they haven't known each other for long – familial relations or not. But, it might have been a quite common occurrence.

And judging by her not asking more about his emancipation – especially since he didn't have a good idea of what that was himself, it was easier for him to refer to Miki as mother. Something which also added a layer of plausibility to his identity, if he lived with his mother, he was less suspicious, especially as a young man who had not yet reached adulthood.

True, the very thought of addressing Miki as 'mother' was strange to him, but he would soldier on.

The last time he had seen his mother was decades ago, when he found her dead in the kitchen, trying to make his favorite dish. It was probably the worst day of Momonga's entire life – perhaps even worse than the end of YGGDRASIL, despite the recentness of the latter.

But time had passed, and old wounds were scabbed over. And with her body long ago being turned in for processing at the fertilizer aggregators, there were no more things that triggered any memories of her passing. So, Momonga pretty much stopped thinking about it years later, remembering what had happened only occasionally on the anniversary of her death.

When the developers of YGGDRASIL announced the end of service – on the days leading to it, Momonga often remembered and drew parallels to it with the death of his mother. Perhaps trying to reassure himself that even such great past wounds became less painful as time passes and would be forgotten in time, so he would survive even the end of YGGDRASIL.

And, so, as a result, he had long since stopped being sad about his mother's death, simply accepting what had happened as the harsh truth of life, so he felt no sadness in calling Miki 'mother'. Still, the very act of referring to her in that way felt strange, unfamiliar, and, frankly, unexpected to Momonga. After all, she was close to his real age!

However, Momonga could easily suppress his thoughts on the subject with the thought that he was doing it to avoid drawing attention to himself as he walked Miki out of school, watching the minutes pass before his classes started.

'Ha, I didn't even bring a computer with me, how would I take the class? Or will they give me a school one? How exactly schooling worked in Japan in the past?' Momonga thought for a moment, but judging by the fact that the principal hadn't mentioned it, then it was likely that the school would provide his study material.

If worse comes to worst, Momonga would have no trouble creating them with [Create Greater Item] – though, Momonga hadn't checked to see if he could create a complete computer or complex electronics at all using his abilities alone. 'Okay, I'll walk Miki to the gate, and maybe I can check it before class starts.'

Escorting Miki to the gate, Momonga bowed slightly as he said his goodbyes. "Thank you again for your help."

"You're welcome, Satoru," Miki smiled back warmly at him, before turning around and making her way back home – Momonga, on the other hand, activated [Life Essence] and [Mana Essence].

'Hmm, from the looks of it, for Miki, every single bite she ate was considered a separate dish, so now the effects of food are starting to disappear and weaken, one by one. Interesting observation, I should write it down somewhere. Hmm, maybe I should start creating a sort of 'Experiment Journal'? I'm sure it'll be useful in familiarizing Nazarick as to the differences between this world and YGGDRASIL. Huh, another thing to add to the ever-growing and growing list of concerns...'