chapter forty-nine.

"coming!" cormac said from inside of his house, and i waited patiently for him to open the door so i could confront him.
my mind was spinning, but i was certain i was going to be in control of this situation. i won't let cormac play me for a fool again.

i watched the door knob turn and then open quickly. my eyes flicked up to cormac, who was only wearing a towel around his waist with his hair drenched. i put two and two together to realise i probably just interrupted his shower. oops?

"hunter? what are you doing here, mate?" cormac asked, tightening the grip of his towel around his bare body.
"i need to talk to you, can i come in?"
"i'm a little busy." he motioned to the towel, but i shrugged my shoulders.
i kept my face blank, "it's important." and he gave in.

"nobody's home, but come to my room so i can get dressed." he stated, and led me up the staircase. i was imaging ways this could go in my mind, and truth be told none of them ended positively.

"so, what did you want to talk about?" he asked after we made it to his room. i watched him move across the room to his dresser and pull out some clothes for him to wear. i turned around.
"i know about you being my blackmailer." no need to beat around the bush.

i heard his fidgeting stop after my words, and the room was quickly filled with silence.
"hurry and put your clothes on so i can actually look at you.." he continued putting on his boxers, and then a t-shirt.
"okay." and i turned around. he wore the towel across his neck to catch any water dripping from his hair and his shirt was already stained wet.

then, i begun. "i asked lionel to do some digging, it was fairly easy to find out it was you from claire's phone. so please, tell me, why cormac?" i watched his face turn into panic, almost as if he was trying to come up with some sort of epic excuse in his head.

"shit— i-i'm so sorry hunter— listen, i was so mad when i caught you and the lion together i—"
"why didn't you just confront me?! why scare the shit out of my by blackmailing me? you're supposed to be my friend, cormac."
"AND YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE MINE!" he shouted, finally letting his rage be known. i flinched back at the outburst, never seeing cormac be so angry before.

he was always the chill friend, the one who lived without a care in the world. the one who was always laid back and couldn't be bothered by anything. but now? now he seemed like a different person.

"you were my best friend hunter. then you fucked off and started ditching us everyday at lunch. but when i found out it was him you were going to see? i was livid. he used to bully me, hunter. you know this!" i watched as cormac's eyes begun to tear up as he continued on, "he beats mickey up almost every week! how can you bare the company of him so much? how can you..." he stopped himself before he said the wrong thing. a part of me knew cormac was right, or that he atleast had a point. lionel did used to bully him. lionel still beats mickey up every single week. lionel is a bully. a bully that i chose over my friends. i understand now.

"i'm so sorry, cormac." i looked down, accepting defeat. "there was so many times where i wanted to end it with him to keep our friendship good but i—..." i paused.
"i think i love him."