13. Light In The Dark

Quinn POV

It had been five weeks since I'd walked back into Damian's life and three since we finally talked. Today was the day I had been dreading, today was Dante's surgery and I was a wreck. I hadn't slept much last night, I felt physically sick and I couldn't bring myself to eat anything.

Looking at our tiny baby boy laying in the hospital bed giggling as his papi made funny faces I could feel my heart clenching. I knew Damian was distracting himself as much as he was Dante. The wait for him to be taken to theatre seemed to be eternal and yet I hoped there would be a miracle and we'd be told he didn't need it.

"Dante Priest?" A doctor asks and Damian immediately moves back from our son

"Yes" I say quietly

"It's time" he says giving me and empathetic smile

"Oh" is all I can manage as I watch them start to move his bed

"You can walk with him if you like" he says "have a little longer with him"

Nodding I walk along side his bed gripping Damian's hand tightly, all too soon we reach the elevator and we have to let him go.

"You are my sunshine and the greatest thing I ever did" I say kissing his forehead "I will see you soon mi àngel, I love you so much"

"You be a good boy for the doctor" Damian says "papi will take care of mami and we will see you soon brave boy, I love you" he places a kiss on his forehead and then we step back.

I'm glued to the spot as I watch them manoeuvre the bed into the elevator, "doctor!" I call out and he looks at me "please bring our boy back to us" I ask and he nods giving me a reassuring smile.

The second the doors close I crumble. If it wasn't for Damian catching me I would have hit the floor. Quickly he holds me up and agaisnt his firm warm body as the sobs shake my body.

"It's ok mi amor, I'm here I've got you" he soothes "he's going to be fine, I know he will" he says but I can hear his voice breaking slightly telling me he's feeling the same as I am. "Why don't we go get a coffee or something?" He asks

"I don't want to leave him" I say my eyes fixed on the elevator

"He's in good hands" he says "come on you can't stand here all day"

Damian slowly guides me away from the elevator but as he does so I feel myself wobble. He tightens his grip on me and gives me a worried look.

"Make that a coffee and some food" he says "you need to eat, you can't help him if you make yourself ill"

"I don't feel so good D" I say resting agaisnt him as I feel my strength start to go a little

Damian POV

Before I could respond I felt Quinn go slightly limp in my arms, I quickly catch her and at the same time shout for help. I was fairly certain this was all down to stress and not eating but tha didn't stop me worrying.

I gently lay her on the floor so she doesn't get hurt and before long there is a nurse beside her checking her over "D" she says her voice a little croaky

"It's ok mi àngel you just passed out" I say holding her hand "the nurse is going to make sure you are alright"

"Can you tell me what happened?" The nurse asks

"Our son is having heart surgery, she's been stressed and hasn't been eating properly" I explain "she'll be ok though right?"

"Yes but I want to get her checked out just to be sure" she says "can you bring her through to a cubicle?"

"Of course" I say immediately lifting her in my arms and following the nurse. Gently I lay her down on the bed and the nurse goes to get what she needs.

"D I know what it is.......I don't need to be checked" she says

"Please mi àngel let them check you over, for me" I plead "I want to know you're alright"

"But I'm telling you........."

"Ok, I'm going to take some blood. Do you feel like you could provide a urine sample?" She asks

"Yes but I....."

"Mi àngel please" I ask

"Fine" she sighs holding out her arm, the nurse takes her blood and then I help her to the bathroom. Once they have everything they take it away to test.

"Thank you mi àngel" I say kissing her hand

"D I need you to listen to me" she says "I know........."

"Alright Miss Evans, we've tested the urine sample and we've found something else that would explain why you feel the way you do" she says and then her expression changes "I'm guessing from your face that you know what I'm going to say don't you?" She asks and Quinn nods

"What's going on mi àngel?" I ask

"I've been trying to tell you" she says nervously "I had a feeling, and now it's confirmed..........I'm pregnant D"

"Is that right?" I says my eyes darting between Quinn and the nurse

"Yes it is" the nurse smiles "congratulations"

"We.....I......I don't know what to say" I say

"Are......are you happy about it?" Quinn asks

"Of course I am" I smile "I knew I wanted more I just didn't expect it to happen this soon"

"Well if I'm right, it was that night two weeks after I came back" she says "you tried to get me out of your system but you put yourself in mine instead" she says and I laugh

"I am so glad I came to my senses" I smile "this time I won't miss a thing"

"A little light in the darkness" she smiles "I know Dante is going to be the best big brother"

"Yeah he will" I smile "hopefully being close in age will mean they will be close"

"Well, I guess coffee is out of the question but I would like something to eat" she says getting off the bed

"Sure mi àngel I'll get you whatever you want" I say kissing her temple "whatever you both want"