Under The Stands

So much noise.

So many people.

You're not even supposed to be making friends.

The quidditch game was entertaining to watch. It was exciting, and thrilling and made him feel apprehensive and it was not even an official game. Once the game finished, Fiona left, saying she saw her brother and wanted to talk to him. Alabaster had stayed put and said he would wait for her.

Many people were out on the grounds now as many had noticed the little quidditch game the older students had assembled and now that it was over, mini crowds were starting to form with lots of shouting of celebration, arguments and just the general talk of quidditch.

So much noise.

He was getting nervous, or better anxious. He tapped on his journal as he watched the different crowds of people. A group of Gryffindors were in the middle of a conversation on the pitch, a group of younger Gryfindors were heading back to the castle, two Ravenclaws we just exiting their area of the stands, Slytherins were talking to each other in low whispers and there were a group of Hufflepuffs around his age having a conversation around the Hufflepuff stands and there was even an older Ravenclaw several feet away near the Black Lake with a long golden-haired dog.

He was not even supposed to be talking to Fiona – Theodore had told him last night that he was going to end up alone; that once people really got to know him they would leave.

What was the point of making friends if he was going to end up alone?

Tap, tap, tap.

He was not used to such big crowds. He was not even used to the sheer amount of people around the field on the quidditch pitch. At home, it was just him, his parents, his sister, and brother and occasionally his aunt, uncle, and cousins.

Tap, tap, tap.

And he had to worry about his brother, Atticus, who apparently had a blood curse, a maledictus? He could turn into a duck of all things and the shopkeeper was not even sure if that was the correct term. All he knew is that he had a good chance of dying young.

Tap, tap, tap.

He could not have his little brother die.

Tap, tap, tap.

The chatter...there were too many conversations happening all at once. Their words kept overlapping each other making it one big jumble that he barely could comprehend.

Tap, tap, tap.

"Did you hear that–"

"Jessica Abbott said that–"

"What class do you have first–"

"Those Slytherins are so–"

"This game – NO WAY – dragons don't do – do you have a crush – what?? The coolest – I got an owl – seeker – Potter – snitch – finding what – Hospital Wing – Binns is a bore – OH MY GOD!"

Alabaster felt like he wasn't even here. He couldn't really describe what was wrong, but he didn't like it. He felt so small and everything else was just so big and loud.

Tap, tap, tap.

AND WHY WAS EVERYONE BEING SO LOUD?!

Alabaster decided that he needed to leave. It was getting too overwhelming, it was getting too much and the bright sun beating down on him with all the noise and this feeling in his stomach made him think he was going to combust.