Diagnosis

Info - reader with dyslexia, feeling dumb, comfort

She came to me with tears running down her face. My arms were instantly open. She dove into them and was instantly clutching my shirt and crying into my shoulder.

"Can you use words? Or are you not ready yet?" I whispered as I rubbed her back.

"I have been struggling for an hour to study for my English assessment. The words keep dancing on the page. I was literally so confused because I was supposed to be reading about ancient religions and I kept reading god as dog and getting messed up. Then some ancient gods look like dogs with added another layer of confusion. I don't know what I'll do."

"Well first off you're going to take a break and get something to spoil yourself," I said, petting her hair.

"Spoil myself when I didn't get shit done?" She demanded.

"Yes because you tried, you persevered."

"I thought the diagnosis would make things easier, but it feels worse," she sniffled.

"I know it feels that way now, but once you get that specialized tutor, and you get the adjustments for your tests it'll be so much better. That's why you got diagnosed."

"You're right," she sighed.

"How about this, I will read your study stuff to you and you just soak it in," I told her.

"Oh my, that's such a good idea actually! You'd do that for me?" She asked with huge doe eyes.

"Yeah baby, you can retain it better that way," I said gently.

"Thank you Timmy," she said and wrapped her body around me.