Chapter 5

Mattheo

I stared at the ceiling for a moment, letting my thoughts wander aimlessly, until the rustle of sheets caught my attention.

I turned on my side to see the redheaded Hufflepuff asleep beside me, still naked and sweating from our lovemaking.

A sigh passed my lips as I stood up carefully, careful not to wake her.

I gathered up my scattered clothes and put them on quickly. After adjusting my jeans and shirt, I took one last look at the sleeping young woman before leaving the room in silence.

I've never spent a whole night with a girl, I had the feeling that leaving once she was asleep gave me a kind of control over the situation.

I was exhausted from these meaningless encounters, these ephemeral liaisons that seemed to be the only escape from my own tormented thoughts.

But even if they gave me a brief respite, they only masked the anger that constantly threatened to overwhelm me.

I slipped out of the common room, near the kitchens, and decided to stop for a snack.

The familiar feel of food between my fingers gave me some comfort, even if it was only temporary.

I leaned against the railing of the astronomy tower, letting my thoughts wander as I nibbled and smoked a cigarette.

My mind was cluttered with memories, regrets and unanswered questions as I inhaled the smoke.

I was looking for an escape, a way to free myself from my own demons, even if I knew that this would only postpone the inevitable confrontation with my darkest emotions.

The vibration of my phone pulled me out of my thoughts.

I frowned, puzzled by the message, and stood up to make my way quickly to the common room

If Val was contacting me in this way, it must have been for something important.

I discreetly climbed the stairs to the girls' dormitory and knocked on her door.

I waited a few moments, the sound of footsteps approaching the door. It opened to reveal Val. Without a word, she grabbed my arm and pulled me inside, settling me on her bed.

"Hello to you too, Pierce," I said with a smirk.

She gave me a brief smile before sitting down cross-legged opposite me.

"I've got something to show you," she said before taking off her jumper.

"Whoa, you're not going to get naked, are you?!" I joked, covering my eyes with my hand.

"Stop being an asshole, Riddle," she said, slapping my hand away. "It's too hot and I need to concentrate."

I raised an eyebrow, puzzled, as she grabbed her pillow and tore it in front of us, letting the feathers scatter.