Chapter 30

Valentina

After Mattheo's unexpected request, I returned to class, my heart filled with a sweet euphoria.

I didn't expect things to happen so quickly, given that Mattheo had always been the indecisive type, not really inclined to commit.

However, I was happy that things were now clear between us, and hoped with all my heart that this new stage in our relationship would go well.

I joined the Muggle Studies class a little later than the others, as I had gone to the dormitories to change in anticipation of the chill that was setting in. As I walked through the corridors, my hands hidden in the pockets of my Slytherin robes, I lost myself in a bubble of bliss.

I prayed that our relationship would continue and develop in the best possible way.

However, part of me was still filled with apprehension. Events were taking a totally unexpected turn for Mattheo and me, and I sincerely hoped not to lose him along the way.

When I got to the classroom, I saw Ethan Dubois coming out.

To be honest, the look he gave me provoked a mixture of guilt and nervousness. I'd cheated on Ethan just a few days ago, and now I was in a relationship with Mattheo. I wasn't particularly proud of my past actions.

Ethan scrutinised me from head to toe, examining every detail of my appearance with precision.

Flames of hatred danced in his eyes, and he never took his eyes off me, frozen in a hostile posture. Then a hand suddenly slipped to my hip, breaking the embrace of his gaze.

I couldn't ignore the resentment emanating from him. Our eyes met and he made no secret of his contempt.

"Pierce." he spat out my first name, contempt piercing through his voice. He glared at Mattheo.

I stayed silent, not knowing what to say. Ethan had every reason to be angry, but I couldn't apologise for what was happening between Mattheo and me. It wasn't his business any more.

Mattheo wasn't fazed by Ethan's hostility. He wrapped his arms around me, pulling me a little closer to him. "Come on, babe, we're going to be late," he whispered in my ear.

Ethan clenched his fists, clearly in the grip of uncontrollable anger. "I hope you're happy with your choice, Pierce. I can't wait for the day he breaks you into pieces."

His tone was filled with disappointment, and he looked away, withdrawing from the confrontation.

I could feel his reproachful gaze, but I didn't have the strength to hold it back. I watched his back move away, feeling guilty for the pain I had caused.

Mattheo let out a soft chuckle, as if he'd won a battle. He pulled me towards him, kissing my cheek gently. "Don't worry about him, Val. He'll get over it."

But I couldn't help feeling torn between my feelings for Mattheo and my guilt about Ethan.

I went to class, taking my usual place, and Mattheo followed me, sitting next to me as if it were the most natural thing in the world.

"You've taken up residence here?" I teased with a smile, reminding myself that this wasn't his usual place in class.

But my thoughts drifted to the memory of what we'd done in the middle of class last time, causing a slight blush to creep up my cheeks.

"Let's just say this place has its advantages..." he replied with a smirk, placing his hand on my thigh.

I blinked, surprised by this public display of affection, and had to fight not to ask for more. Demonstrations of affection on his part, especially in public, were new to me.