Chapter 7

Valentina

The trees had begun to take on shades of orange and gold, spreading a warm atmosphere throughout Hogsfield.

The gently falling leaves created a soft carpet of bright colours, making every step in the courtyard of the castle a magical experience in itself.

Autumn had arrived, bringing with it a fresh breeze and the crunch of leaves underfoot. The days were shorter, the nights cooler, but there was a distinct energy in the air.

I loved this time of year. Classes seemed a little more bearable with the beauty of the landscape outside, and the seasonal activities added an extra touch of magic to the school.

The crackling fires in the fireplaces warmed the common rooms, creating an atmosphere of comfort and intimacy.

It was also a special month at Hogwarts, as Halloween was approaching.

The students were excited about the upcoming festivities, and there was an electric energy in the air. Preparations for the big party were underway, and every corner of the castle was decorated with carved pumpkins and enchanted cobwebs. Candles floated in the air, lighting up the dark corridors with a mysterious glow.

The evening was on everyone's lips, and discussions about their fancy dress took up a lot of space.

The corridors echoed with laughter and excitement as students shared their ideas for the most original costumes.

I was looking forward to it too, but my thoughts were very much focused on the fruitless search for my magic and Mattheo's repeated and mysterious absences.

The Slytherins were even more excited than usual, because this year the Halloween party was taking place in our own common room, and we were in charge of all the organisation.

The corridors of Slytherin were transformed into a veritable labyrinth of enchanted cobwebs and carved pumpkins.

Candles floated in the air, giving off a soft, mysterious green light.

We'd formed teams to decorate different corners of the common room, and everyone was pulling out all the stops to create an atmosphere that was both sinister and festive.

Chairs and tables were arranged to create intimate spaces for conversation, while a large area was set aside for dancing.

I had been asked to supervise the installation of a chocolate fountain, where the pupils could dip fruit and sweets.

As I busied myself arranging the trays of treats, Mattheo appeared beside me, a smirk on his lips.

"Need any help, Pierce?" he asked in a cheerful voice.

I looked up at him, a knowing smile forming on my face. "I'll be fine, maybe you should ask Enzo who's in charge of the drinks."

I was lifting the huge tray of fruit to the table when I stumbled slightly. Fortunately, Mattheo reacted quickly and caught the tray before it fell.

He shrugged nonchalantly. "Now you have no choice but to accept my help."

I rolled my eyes, but his mischievous smile made me melt. "All right, all right. You can help me arrange the trays on the table..."

He placed the tray nimbly on the table, then sat down on it next to the trays and grabbed a strawberry.

I slapped his hand to release it before putting it in his mouth. "That's for tonight, you pig!"

Mattheo burst out laughing and settled back into a more serious posture. "What are you dressing up as tonight?"

"I don't know yet, I've got to go and see Mr Hill later. What about you?" I asked, arranging the trays in their places.