Chapter 48

Theodore

The first rays of the morning sun bathed the room, creating a soft, soothing atmosphere, in stark contrast to the turmoil that had shaken our lives recently.

Rustling noises came from Mattheo's bed, a reminder of his owner's persistent absence.

After an embarrassed blink in the morning light, I got up carefully, trying not to disturb Valentina's peaceful sleep. The new day promised a new series of challenges, but for the moment the room was calm.

I approached the bed, which had once been Mattheo's refuge. Now it was occupied by Valentina, asleep thanks to the potion I'd given her the day before.

A decision taken carefully to ensure her safety in the dormitory, a fragile safety in the whirlwind of uncertainty that enveloped us.

Enzo had generously offered his own bed, perhaps anticipating how difficult it would be for Valentina to stay in the one that had once belonged to Mattheo. However, she had politely declined the offer, showing a strength that I could only admire.

She was strong, too strong to last.

I took a few minutes to observe Valentina, sleeping peacefully despite the ordeals that had overwhelmed her. Her face, though marked by fatigue, retained a certain serenity in this moment of respite.

However, I knew that this calm was only temporary

Sitting on the edge of her bed, I delicately brushed a rebellious strand out of her messy hair. Her sleep was deep, but I wondered how many torments could haunt her dreams.

The situation had become untenable, and I had to find a solution, not only for Mattheo but also for her.

My eyes were drawn to the sketchbook Valentina was holding tightly in her sleep. A work of art created by Mattheo, now charged with a deeper, more complex meaning.

I stared at the sketchbook for a moment, then stood up carefully, leaving the room to go to the bathroom before Valentina woke up.

There was an almost unreal silence in the bathroom, broken only by the gentle murmur of water running from the tap. I took a deep breath, trying to banish the lingering shadow of worry that weighed on my shoulders.

As I washed my face, I let my mind wander, desperately looking for a solution to this complex situation. Valentina, asleep in the next room, was a precious friend, and the idea of seeing her trapped in this spiral of conflict tore me apart.

It was either Valentina's life or that of her sister that was at stake, and there was no way I was going to lose my friend, no matter how hard it was to force Valentina to kill her sister in order to survive

The few snippets of the prophecy looped around in my mind; it was an enigma to be solved. Perhaps if it were complete it would contain clues, answers hidden among the unknown lines.