Chapter 34

Valentina

Sleep had enveloped my senses in a gentle embrace, allowing me to stretch languorously and yawn, slowly emerging from my torpor.

The morning rays filtered through the curtains, caressing my face and reminding me that the day was already well advanced. It was one of the few times I'd slept for so long, and a comforting feeling of relaxation washed over me.

However, my peace of mind was abruptly interrupted when I reached for my phone to check the time. My screen was flooded with missed calls from Mattheo, Aura, Theo and Enzo, as well as panicked messages.

"Fuck!" I cried as I realised the gravity of the situation.

My heart raced, and I leapt out of bed in a hurry. It was the morning of my departure for Paris, and I hadn't even heard my alarm clock go off.

"Shit, shit, shit!" I scolded myself as I hastily slipped on my jeans, hopping up on one leg to put on my converse shoes, which were barely fastened.

I hurried back to my suitcase, which was almost ready, and threw the last few items in before closing it abruptly. If I was quick enough, there was a slim chance I'd be able to join them before they left.

I knew that every minute counted.

Grabbing my suitcase in one hand and my phone in the other, I ran across the common room, determined to reach the nearest floo flame.

My finger clicked frantically on Mattheo's contact, and as soon as he answered, his voice laden with concern rang out.

"Val, where the hell are you?!" he almost shouted, the anguish evident in his voice, causing me to quicken my pace to catch up.

"My alarm clock didn't go off!" I managed to articulate between gasping breaths. "Tell me you haven't left yet?"

"We're on the platform, but the train's already here," his voice was filled with frustration. "Fuck, Val..."

My mind spun at full speed. It seemed I'd never have time to reach the station on foot. Unless...

"Get on the train," I threw out quickly, despite my heart beating furiously. Mattheo hesitated, clearly worried, but I knew it was the only viable option at this stage.

"What? No, Val, if you're not there-" he started, but I was adamant.

"Get on the train. I'll meet you inside, I promise," I replied in a resolute voice before hanging up.

Suddenly determined, I crossed the common room, looked for the nearest fireplace, and jumped into the green flame. I reappeared on the grass where the flying classes usually took place.

Without wasting a second, I cast an explosive spell on the door that housed the brooms, shattering it. I quickly chose a broom and grabbed it.

The wind whistled in my ears as I soared through the sky, determined to catch up with Mattheo and the others before they left for Paris.