Chapter 23

Slō, twilight, Tazzy - Paparazzi  (slowed + reverb)

Mattheo

I slipped into my black suit, taking care of every detail, from the carefully fitted fold of my white shirt to the way I tied my green tie around my neck.

Cassandra had insisted that I wear a yellow tie, saying it would enhance my eyes, but my hard head refused to give in.

No one, not even her, could make me wear the colours of another house. My loyalty to Slytherin was unshakeable.

While Theo and Enzo had been ready for a while, eager to meet their partners at the bottom of the stairs, I'd taken my time getting ready, my reflection in the mirror reminding me of every detail of Valentina I'd seen earlier in the day.

My heart was beating a little faster, and tension had taken hold of me since that meeting. She had the power to invade me with unknown sensations, and every day was a struggle not to cross the limits I had imposed on myself.

Valentina was a stubborn woman, determined to sweep me off my feet. She had a way of pushing me to my limits, but I couldn't help letting a small part of me be angry that she wasn't in Cassandra's place tonight.

Once my tie was properly knotted, I joined them, the ticking of the clock echoing in my head.

Like everyone else, we stood at the foot of the steps in front of the Great Hall, waiting for our dates, except for Lorenzo, who had quickly found Rowan, leaving me alone with Theodore. The excitement was palpable, each student proudly displaying their house colours, the shimmering dresses of the girls and the carefully tailored suits of the boys.

Unlike most people here, I wasn't worried. I just couldn't wait for the evening to be over. 

Theodore was ecstatic as he waited for Aura, and I could see him wiping his hands incessantly. His cheeks were slightly flushed, and a smug smile hung on his lips.

"You'll crease it eventually," I teased, slipping my hands into my pockets.

It was amusing to see him in such a state for a girl, a first for him. "I know, but my hands are sweaty," he replied in a slightly shaky voice.

"Hey, buddy," I turned to him. "You've been with Aura for a while now, you'll be fine."

He merely nodded, then looked up. "Oh, shit..."

I followed his gaze to catch a glimpse of the lovely Hufflepuff coming down the steps. Theodore grabbed my arm and squeezed it like he was going to fall.

"That's my girl," he said, his eyes twinkling, and I was delighted to witness the moment. Their smiles beamed, and the excitement was palpable, creating an electric atmosphere in the air.

The two kissed, and I couldn't help noticing how strange it was that Valentina and Aura hadn't come downstairs together.