Chapter 18

Valentina

I was standing in the stands of the Quidditch pitch with Aurora, staring at the match between Slytherin and Gryffindor.

It was the last game of the year, and at that stage I was still a spectator rather than a cheerleader. Madam Pomfrey had assured me that I would be able to rejoin the team after the Christmas holidays, but in the meantime I had to be patient.

While the other students were looking forward to going home for the holidays, I had mixed feelings. Hogwarts had become my real home, and although my parents' manor house had its attractions, I knew that two weeks there would seem a long time.

Nevertheless, I really needed this break after the recent events that had shaken my life. But I was going to use this free time to find out more about powers, because I still needed answers.

I glanced discreetly at Aurora beside me. Her eyes were fixed on Theodore's game, wearing a shirt with his name on the back. The corners of my lips turned up at the sight of her so happy at Theo's side.

Their relationship seemed very harmonious.

My attention returned to Ethan, who was on the pitch. He was fighting valiantly, trying to make up the ground Gryffindor had lost to Slytherin. His blond hair was sticking to his forehead and drops of sweat were beading on his face.

Aurora broke the silence. "He's really happy for you, you know?"

I looked at her, a little confused. "Uh?" I asked, trying to understand what she was getting at.

"Theodore. He might not say it openly, but he's happy to see you happy with Ethan," she explained, smiling a knowing smile.

My gaze returned to Theodore and Lorenzo, both on the pitch. The boys had done their best not to sideline me after my decision to cut ties with Mattheo.

Nevertheless, it was inevitable that our bond would weaken. I simply couldn't spend time with them when Mattheo, the man who hurt me, was there with them.

Aurora continued her argument. "Don't you think it's time to move on, Val? I mean, you never told me why you and Riddle fell out, but-"

"I don't want to talk about it, Aura," I replied in a firm voice, crossing my arms to contain any rise in anger or frustration.

My affair with Mattheo was a page turned that I didn't want to open again.

"Valentina, please... You know you can tell me anything," Aura insisted with a pleading look.

Time and again, I'd wanted to tell her that I'd slept with my best friend, just hours before he'd trampled all over my self-esteem.

But I still hadn't found the courage to face up to this reality.

"There's nothing to tell. I just opened my eyes," I replied tartly, gritting my teeth as I avoided looking at her.

"So you're going to cloister yourself in silence for the rest of your life?" she argued, and I felt my patience wearing thin.

I stood up, adjusting my Slytherin uniform and dusting it off.

"Yes, Aura, I prefer silence to tears. Now, if you'll excuse me," I said finally, walking between the legs of the fans to get away.

"Val, wait!" she called, but I didn't turn round.

Running away had become my routine recently. My friends were asking too many questions that I didn't want to answer, and all I wanted was to be left to mourn my now dead and buried relationship with Mattheo Riddle.