Chapter 41

Valentina

Mattheo's steady heartbeat created a soothing melody as my eyelids lowered, enveloping me in a cocoon of calm and comfort

His fingers gently ran through my hair, creating a reassuring and familiar sensation.

The cave, bathed in a subdued glow, seemed to be the sanctuary where our souls met after the storm. Recent trials had forged a deeper connection between us, and for the first time, we were exploring the tranquillity of a love that was emerging from the ashes of our tormented pasts.

However, a nagging guilt gnawed at me.

I was angry with myself for not having perceived the pain hidden behind Mattheo's brown eyes earlier, for not having understood the heaviness of his burden.

My fingers gently traced the contours of his collarbone, right next to one of those cross-shaped scars, as if I were trying to engrave in my memory the reality of our new connection.

I was bitter at the thought that he had been condemned from birth to a life of pain and sacrifice. Anger at fate mixed with admiration for his resilience.

Tragically, Mattheo had sailed through his ordeals with silent dignity.

His fingers moved slowly down my spine, a comforting gesture that erased the invisible scars from our souls.

I had become aware of the complexity of his burden, of the invisible links that chained him to a past he despised. My fingers played absentmindedly with the folds of his skin, as if I could erase even an ounce of his pain.

The pain...

The warmth of his bare chest contrasted with the coldness of the cave, creating an intimate cocoon where we could share our silences. The weight of recent events was still present, but we found a kind of peace in our closeness.

"What are you thinking about?" he murmured, his soft voice breaking the silence.

I sighed, searching for words that could express the torment of my thoughts. "To the pain you must surely have felt all these years.."

Mattheo tilted his head slightly so that our eyes met. "You still don't get it do you?"

I frowned, not sure I understood.

He paused, seeming to think about something. "Since you've been in my life things have become different."

I shook my head. "How different? You're always forced to do these things.."

A slight smile stretched her lips. "You are more beautiful than a sunset and braver than a soldier. You're more loyal than any dog and more stubborn than any mule."

His intense gaze met mine, and a deep connection seemed to develop between us. His words echoed inside me, sending a shiver down my spine.

"Your eyes shine with the light of millions of stars and my heart melts when I see your smile, Merlin's most precious gift." His hand wrapped around mine, creating a tangible bond between us. "I know every part of your soul, Pierce, and I know that the deepest part at its centre is reserved for me. That's all that matters to me."

His words, full of disconcerting sincerity, struck a chord with me. I felt vulnerable, exposed, but also incredibly loved. Tears filled my eyes, but an emotional smile lit up my face.

"Mattheo..." I whispered, my voice thick with emotion.

"I know, me too," he murmured, gently crushing my lips.

There was no need for more words. In that silent exchange, we found a deep understanding, a love that transcends the challenges we face.

Once our lips parted, I spoke again while he played with my hair. "Come back to Hogwarts with me."