Chapter 11

Mattheo

I walked silently into my dormitory, where the room was already bathed in morning light. My half-brother was sleeping peacefully in his bed, and when my gaze fell on Theodore's bed, only a lock of blond hair was sticking out from the covers.

She turned her head slightly when she heard my footsteps, and I could see her face emerge from the pillow.

"Morning, Lovelace," I said simply as I sat down on my bed.

"Riddle... Were you with Valentina?" she asked, straightening slightly.

"Yes, because you were too busy fucking my best friend," I replied a little tersely. "Besides, are you going to tell her the truth, or are you planning to continue this little game on the sly?"

"It's not like that, Mattheo," she tried to justify herself.

I crossed my arms, scrutinising her intently. "Where's that idiot who can't hold his dick?"

"He's in the shower," she replied, clearly uncomfortable.

I went to the bathroom door and opened it to check.

Theodore had just put a towel round his waist when I pressed my forearm against his chest.

"I know someone who got up on the wrong side of the bed," he laughed, which irritated me even more.

My patience reached its breaking point. I grabbed his shoulder and gave him a gentle shake, dropping his towel in the process. He remained motionless, letting the towel slide to the floor without the slightest discomfort.

"You left her on her own, you twat!" I said through clenched teeth, anger bubbling up inside me.

Theodore raised an eyebrow, seeming a little surprised by my sudden outburst. He took a deep breath, recovering from the shock of my sudden intrusion into the bathroom.

"What are you talking about, Matt?" he asked in a calm tone, although he could sense my growing frustration.

"Don't fuck with me, Theo," I retorted, my fists clenched. "Valentina Pierce, you know, our best friend who was left all alone in Hogsmeadei n the middle of the night because you were... busy getting blondie back?"

Theodore looked down, finally realising the situation. "I... I hadn't thought of that."

I sighed, trying to calm my anger. After all, Theodore was my best friend, and even though I was furious with him for leaving Valentina alone, I knew he hadn't done it on purpose.

"You really are a moron, Theo," I said finally and turned away from him, heading for the dormitory door.

I stepped out of the bathroom and grabbed my things. I turned back to Aurora and Theodore, both looking at me with embarrassment. "Talk to her before she finds out otherwise," I said then walked out.

I needed some time to think so I went outside for a fag.

The November chill hit me hard as I stepped outside. I took a few steps away from the castle to find a quiet spot to smoke my cigarette.

The icy wind seemed to soften the anger I had felt towards Nott earlier.

I inhaled deeply from my cigarette, letting my mind wander. The situation was becoming increasingly complicated.

Valentina deserved the world, and I had the impression that she was caught up in her own demons, just like me. It wasn't a good combination.

A pain in my forearm threw me, signalling the end of my respite. I got up, threw my fag to the floor and made my way to where I was called.