Chapter 12

Mattheo

Theo and I arrived at the park as quickly as we could. The scene before us was incredibly unusual. Selena Evergreen was still suffering on the ground while Valentina stared at her motionless.

I rushed to the scene, accompanied by Theo, both of us in shock at what we were seeing.

"Theo, look after Evergreen!" I ordered my friend as I approached Valentina.

I positioned myself next to her, but she seemed to be completely out of it. Her eyes were fixed on an invisible point in front of her, as if she was in a deep trance.

"Val, hey!" I called out, gently shaking her shoulder, but she remained unperturbed.

I shook her harder and harder, but it didn't seem to bring her out of this strange state. Her eyes had taken on an ominous bluish tint, and I noticed that blood was starting to drip from her nose.

"Val, what the fuck are you doing!" I shouted, shaking her shoulders roughly as Selena's screams echoed in the background.

The other students were beginning to crowd round, worried and curious about what was going on. I didn't want Val to be exposed like that, especially with her special power.

If anyone found out about her gift, it could have disastrous consequences.

After shaking her to no avail, I shouted "Wake up!" again and, in an act of desperation, slapped her face to try and bring her back to reality.

Under the shock of the slap, Valentina began to blink, the blue tint in her eyes gradually disappearing, while the normal colour of her hazel eyes gradually reappeared.

"Matt-"

Without warning, I grabbed her by the arm, pulling her with me as Theodore and Lorenzo took Selena to the hospital wing. Valentina was still in shock, wide-eyed and silent, as I took her to her bathroom and sat her on the edge of the tub.

"Val, hey," I said, gently waving my hand in front of her eyes, but she avoided my gaze.

"I'm turning into a monster," she whispered, looking down at the floor.

I crouched down in front of her, standing at her knees to meet her gaze.

"Don't say that... It was an accident, all right?" I said softly, putting a little pressure on her right knee to get her attention.

"I don't know what happened, I promise, Mattheo," she said, sounding panicked at the thought of my gaze on her changing.

I'd never seen Valentina so vulnerable. She'd reached a new stage with her magic, and we needed to find a way to channel it differently.

"I know, Val... We'll sort it out together, okay?" I said gently, trying to reassure her.

I noticed she still had blood under her nose. I got up to find something to wipe it off with.

"What are you doing?" she asked in a feverish voice.

I searched through her cupboards until I found a cloth, then sat back down in front of her.

"What I've always done," I said, gently wiping her nose.

I'd never seen anyone react like that. Maybe it was due to too much magic, but it was unusual to get a nosebleed for it.

"I'll probably get expelled..." she said, as I finished wiping it off.

"You're crazy if you think I'm going to let that happen, Pierce," I said with a smirk, trying to comfort her.