Chapter 33

Valentina

My knees hit the hard floor of the Map Chamber, a wave of pain running through my exhausted limbs.

My wand was still firmly clutched in my hand, while my messy hair fell in front of my eyes.

"Get up, Valentina," ordered Rackham in an unruffled voice.

A month of hard training with the Keepers to master my magic had taken its toll on my body.

I wiped the now familiar blood from my nose and struggled to my feet.

"I'm exhausted!" I grumbled, awkwardly dodging one of the three mobile dummies that had been enchanted to train me.

"You want to learn, don't you?" he retorted sharply. "There's no better way to learn to master your magic than to do it under pressure."

"Percival.." Niham tried to plead on my behalf, but Rackham interrupted her.

"She must master her power before we goes any further, Niham. It's the only way."

Dodging another attack with difficulty, my anger was aroused. "I don't see why you're so insistent that I learn to fight! Nobody threatens me!"

I cast a quick spell to send a bolt of blue lightning towards one of the mannequins, pulverising it into magic dust.

"You are mistaken, my child," San Bakar began. "As soon as the world discovers your abilities, there will be people who wish you nothing but harm."

I frowned, staring intently at him, before being punched in the abdomen by one of the two remaining dummies.

I stepped back, taking a deep breath, before kicking it away.

"Don't worry, no one knows!" I growled back.

Of course, I had lied.

My boyfriend knew, but I couldn't tell them. The Keepers were so strict and suspicious that I couldn't admit to them that anyone other than myself knew about them.

I wiped the sweat from my brow, knowing that my false answer wasn't fooling them.

The Keepers were determined to train me, to teach me how to use my ancient magic, but their obsession with preparing me for imaginary threats annoyed me to no end.

I dodged another attack by rolling onto my side, then I swung the dummy with my magic, slamming it against the ground several times.

Percival Rackham watched me fight, his expression serious. "Miss Pierce, we understand that you may be reluctant to fight, but it is our duty to prepare you for all eventualities. Ancient magic is a powerful force, and you must learn to control it."

Charles Rookwood joined in. "Our aim is to protect what remains of this ancient magic, but that doesn't mean we ignore the dangers that threaten you as the guardian of this power."

I sighed in exasperation. "I think you're exaggerating the threat. I'm just a student at Hogwarts!"

As I was talking to the four paintings, the last of the mannequins hit me full force, sending me flying across the room. I fell on my back, breathless, trying to get to my knees. My wand had flown a little further, and my eyes went from my magic weapon to that wooden moron.

"Fuck you!" I screamed in rage, creating a force field around me, exposing the dummy and causing the ground to shake.

My anger was a source of power, but it left me exhausted and vulnerable.

I fell to the ground, exhausted. My vision blurred and I closed my eyes slightly as I heard the four professors debating behind me.

"You pushed her too hard, Percival!"