Chapter 32*

Valentina

I sat cross-legged, enthralled by the meticulous explanations of the four Keepers in the Map Chamber.

Rackham explained how he had used ancient magic to save the hamlet of Feldcroft from drought.

Later, a young girl named Isidora Morganach entered Hogwarts and met the Keepers. It was then that they revealed to Isidora her gift for ancient magic, and Rackham took it upon himself to teach her the rudiments of this exceptional magic.

Isidora proved capable of reshaping the world around her as she saw fit, but she had a more noble goal: to ease the pain her father had been feeling since the loss of her brother.

After completing her studies at Hogwarts, Isidora began to use ancient magic to extract the pain of her loved ones, storing it in ever-larger containers that eventually became repositories of ancient magic.

Despite the warnings of her former teachers, Isidora persisted in using magic to influence the emotions of others, and this became a growing concern.

According to their explanation, the four professors were forced to intervene and murdered her.

When Isidora died, they decided to become the Keepers and set up the trials to preserve the well-kept secret surrounding this ancient form of magic, in particular the depository.

"So this is what Maxine was supposed to protect?" I asked, curious to find out more about this mystery.

"That's right, my dear. Everything we've just explained to you we shared in pensieves at the end of each trial. We found it hard to trust her, fearing that she would fall into the same obsession as Isidora: the uncontrolled use of this magic," explained San Bakar.

I simply nodded, my mind absorbed in these stories.

"You must understand, Miss Pierce, that everything we did was motivated by the interests of the wizarding world," added Rackham.

"But you killed a woman who was only trying to help. You have proclaimed yourselves the Keepers of this magic, but you don't know its true value or what it contains, do you?" I challenged him, sympathising with Isidora Morganach, who had simply sought to do good.

"You sound just like her..." murmured Niham with a rueful smile.

"Maxine Redwood sacrificed so much for this repository, and she was exhausted. She tried to make us understand that, but we wouldn't listen," Charles Rookwood began. "It was a heavy load, especially for someone her age."

"So, what's changed with me?" I asked.

"Everything, Miss Pierce," replied Rackham. "We didn't think anyone would come back here, but you did. It's time for us to move on and make amends for our past mistakes."

"How? Isidora and Maxine are now dead, and I don't know anyone else with such abilities," I sighed.

"Keep reading Miss Redwood's diary, I'm sure you'll learn more from it. Your blood link is very strong, judging by your striking resemblance. I'm sure you have the same potential, if not more," added Rackham.

I chuckled, expressing my doubts. "I doubt it. I simply can't control my magic," I said with a hint of regret.

"We'll make you a deal," began San Bakar. "We'll teach you everything we know. All you have to do is come here."

I nodded.

"And only when you feel ready will we explore with you what we've been avoiding all this time. All you have to do is promise to be careful," concludes Rackham, clasping his hands together.