Chapter 21

Valentina

Two days had passed since my meeting with Deek, and the wait was weighing on me. The days seemed to drag on, and I wondered how long this family tension would last.

Luckily I'd provided my friends with phones to keep in touch, except for Ethan, who preferred owls. His letters were heartfelt and sincere, although I struggled to find the right words to reply.

Writing long paragraphs was not my forte, and after crumpling up the seventh parchment and throwing it in the bin, I sighed in frustration.

Just then, someone knocked on my door. I answered "Yes?" and the door opened.

I tried to hide my disappointment when I saw my mother, hoping that it was Deek who had come to bring me what I was looking for.

"Hello darling..." she said, looking at my pile of crumpled paper before giving me a quizzical look.

"It's nothing, I'll pick it up," I said, a little embarrassed, as she sat down on my bed.

"Who were you trying to write to?" she asked softly, curious about the details of my life.

I felt myself blush slightly at this question. I wasn't really inclined to share details with my mother, but her warm presence invited me to talk to her.

"His name is Ethan Dubois...," I began to explain, still playing with my fingers. "He's a Gryffindor."

A slight smile stretched across my mother's lips, eager to know more. "Your boyfriend, isn't he?"

"Maybe..." I say modestly. "He's already written me two letters, but I can't seem to answer him."

My mother looked at me, gentle, and stroked my curls tenderly. It was a moment we hadn't shared for a long time, and although it was unusual, I wasn't complaining.

"He seems like a good boy. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, darling," she says kindly.

I hadn't had a conversation like that with my mother for a long time, and it felt good, although it also raised a few questions.

"Are you planning to invite him for your birthday?" she asked softly, leaving me puzzled.

My birthday was in three days' time, on 24 December, and I had no intention of celebrating. Inviting my friends here was out of the question, given my parents' difficult behaviour.

"I don't intend to celebrate my birthday, Mum," I replied simply.

"What? But..."

I cut her off. "Don't try to decide for me. Dad wouldn't even accept my friends being here, and my mind is made up."

She just nodded silently. I felt bad disappointing her, so an idea came to me. "Ethan asked me to the Winter Ball," I said, smiling slightly.

Her disappointment had faded, replaced by excitement.

"I haven't got a dress for the occasion yet," I said, smiling slightly.

Her eyes shone with excitement.

"I'll call Mr Hill!" she exclaimed before hastily slipping away, letting out a small laugh.

Mr Hill was a well-known dressmaker in the region, and as well as being the owner of Gladrags, he had often worked for my family.

I knew he would do everything in his power to make the perfect outfit for the Winter Ball, and this idea gave me a way to focus my mind on something more fun.

The fittings with Mr Hill were finally over. I was relieved to have chosen my dress for the Winter Ball.

It was a welcome distraction in these tense times. After carefully drafting a reply to Ethan's letter, I sealed the envelope and gave it to my owl ready to leave.