Chapter 29

Valentina

I walked through the long corridors of the school towards the Library, the glow of the lamps dimly illuminating the path.

Even at weekends, this place was always open. My footsteps were filled with thoughts, questions swirling in my mind.

How could Mattheo and I have come to this after years of friendship?

I wondered how our feelings could have changed so quickly, how hatred could have turned to love so easily without us caring about the consequences.

Love.

This simple word made me shake my head, seeming absurd. It was inconceivable that I could feel that way about Mattheo, let alone imagine that he could feel the same way about me.

I didn't want to be like all those people who ended up with a broken heart. I'd already had my share of drama, and I had no intention of adding to it.

Pushing open one of the library's three large doors, I climbed the stairs to reach our usual meeting place.

Aurora was there, immersed in her reading, her expression concentrated. My best friend was stunningly beautiful, and I thought she looked more radiant every day since she'd been with Theodore.

My heart squeezed slightly as I thought of what she had, of the love she was experiencing

If only... No.

I pushed the thought out of my head, shaking my head slightly to get back on track with reality. "Hey," I said shyly.

I hadn't seen Aura since the evening and the disaster with Ethan, and we hadn't had a chance to discuss it. However, I knew she knew all the details, thanks to Theo.

Aurora greeted me with a teasing smile. "Hey, my favorite hider."

I sat down opposite her, letting out an embarrassed sigh. "I guess we're even now," I whispered.

She chuckled. "Yes, I think so. You did a nice show for us a couple of days ago," she said with a half smile, but I could see the concern in her eyes.

I didn't dare answer, looking down at my fingers on the table, not knowing where to start.

Aurora tried to reassure me. "Hey, Val, it's okay. Theo gave me the broad strokes. It was just... unexpected," she added.

"Unexpected? You're telling me.." I rolled my eyes. "Is Theo mad at me? I haven't bumped into him since," I finally asked.

She hesitated before answering. "He was mostly angry with Riddle, to be honest. I think he was a little miffed that he didn't know, even though we had some suspicions."

"Some suspicions? We've been discreet, well not always, but..." I started to say.

"Theo thought Mattheo looked more fulfilled, but at the same time more tense. He concluded that there must be a girl in the equation," she explained. "We had no idea it was you, to tell you the truth."