39 - Casting

Build's POV

"What do you think, Mr. Build? Does this contract meet your expectations?" The executive producer asks me.

 "If not, we can make adjustments, right Mr. Chen?!"  Mr. Lin, the artistic diretor turns to me and the executive in front of me. 

He speaks perfect Thai. His mother is Thai. The executive producer and PR leader talk to me in English.

"I'm so grateful for this opportunity, Mr. Lin...such an interesting role."

"And we want you to play it. When I saw some pictures of you in a magazine, I knew it had to be you, Build. Call me Steve, by the way."

"I really appreciate it a lot, P'Steve."

"Just Steve. I don't like Thai honorifics."

"Oh, I'm sorry...Steve. Please, call me Biu then."

The company is Taiwanese, but the director himself, the executive producer and PR leader came to Vietnam especially to talk to me. The series will initially have 12 episodes, but it will be filmed in Thailand and Taiwan.

"We want an actor who can speak in both Thai and Mandarin."

"I'm doing my best to learn."

"Your pronunciation is already very good, Biu. That's enough for the series...  dialogues will be mainly in Thai anyway. Our company is specialized in producing TV dramas, thrillers and comedy. This is our first incursion into BL industry. So we decided to try a fusion of Thai and Taiwanese BL first."

Steve is a well-known director. 

Taiwanese BL is known for having more elaborate scripts and plots. I'm excited to try another production style.

"We want to test a mix of all we master, but in a BL context, using Thai  knowledge in this field ... by casting Thai experienced actors...already worldwide known. You are perfect for our strategy." 

It's nice how the executive producer, Mr.Chen, minds to explain those details  to me. This is so professionally thought. 

"I'm flattered. I worked in some projects, not sorely BL project. I hope I can contribute effectively."

"No need to be humble, Mr. Build" the executive producer said.

"Your performance was outstanding." The director complimented me.

They are so kind. I feel really appreciated. Is this real?!

"Is there any problem for you to return to Thailand during the series' recording period?"

"No...not a problem, but..."

"We have a strong PR team in Taiwan. We will send them to Tailand to assist you. Don't worry about anything. Every step will be taken professionally." PR leader, Mrs Chang, assured me. 

I was a little embarrassed to bring the subject to light, but I'm glad I didn't have to. They seem to be completely aware of everything that happened to me a year ago.

"Rest assured we have done all the research we should and you will be well assisted. This partnership with your company will work very well, Mr. Build."

"I'm sure it will, Mr. Chen"

"We are still casting for other roles. You are one of the first ones to be invited to this project." 

"Thank you, Steve."

"Have in mind this is a different kind of production, though. We don't have a leading or supporting role, Biu"