41 - On board

Build's POV

Build's POV

"I received a call yesterday...we have an issue so solve."

When Mr. Chen said this, I felt a bitter taste in my mouth, but I was not surprised.

"I see. Perhaps the solution would be good for both parties. Starting something that already seems wrong would only bring more torment for everybody involved."

Mr. Chen just watches me silently, attentive.

In our previous conversations Mr. Chen was always very kind and professional. I feel bad for causing him such inconvenience.

"So you know what the issue is about."

"I'm sorry if I got ahead of myself, but it seems logical to believe this is about my previous job."

In a slow movement, Mr. Chen interlocks his fingers and rests his elbows on his desk. He calmly says:

"They called me demanding you be removed from the project, citing conflict of interest. They fear their artists' reputation will be threatened in addition to the spread of undesirable rumors that will harm marketing strategies that are in place for them. Otherwise they would decline taking part of the project."

"I'm deeply sorry for such trouble, Mr. Chen. I'm grateful for considering me for this project. Please tell me how I can compensate for this inconvenience. If it's okay, I would like to say goodbye to the staff, Mrs. Chang and Director Lin before returning to Vietnam."

Mr. Chen untwines his fingers and stands up from his chair. He walks around the table and leans against it, standing in front of me. He crosses his arms.

"I apologize, Mr. Build."

"Please, don't. Maybe it's better this way... future problems can be avoided."

"I apologize for not considering your situation and obvious feelings about it. I just called you here to give you the opportunity to tell me what you want. Not to do what they want."

"...What I want?!"

"I already gave my answer for their request the minute they stopped talking, Mr. Build."

"I don't know if I understand, Mr. Chen..."

"What do you think my answer was?!"

"...?!..."

"I understand your concern. You can break the contract and pay the financial compensation stipulated in it. There is a list of other BL couples waiting in line to fulfill the gap."

"Just it?!"

"I'm not fond of wasting words."

"W-what did they say, sir...?!"

"They apologized for bothering me and thanked me for the partnership."

Mr. Chen says with a cunning smile on his face.