1

ROME POV

The plane jostled and I held my breath, grabbing the arms of my business class seat.

Takeoff and landing was always the worst.

My mind forced me not to look out the window as we touched down, fear even more intense when all I can see is a blur of wings and asphalt.

Once we came to a stop and I could hear the engines shutting down I finally relaxed.

I was home.

A sigh escaped before I grabbed my laptop bag from the overhead bin then switched my phone on.  The terminal was quiet, late night giving me a chance to walk without being shoved around.

It wasn't like this in London.

Heathrow was a mess, especially since it was a Sunday morning in August.  I knew to expect it but was focused on not freaking out before flying over an ocean.

Signs pointing to the baggage carousel gave me guidance and I smiled when I saw my suitcases drop down the chute.  Most of my life was in these three pieces of plastic, though I shipped home a few boxes about a month ago.

It was time to face my new life.

"Rome??"

I heard my Dad's voice and grinned, turning to look at his face.

Like a mirror.

His hair was still blonde but now has some gray at the temples.  Dad kept it short while I have preferred a longer style since college.

My toddler sister Scout was in his arms, barely awake with dark curls pulled back into pigtails.  I gasped and grinned, "Dad! I didn't think you'd bring little Sis with you."

He chuckled, pulling me into a hug while Scout yawned then saw my face and smiled, reaching for my arms.

This.  This is why I'm back.

"Mariah is working late and Scout knew I was coming to get you.  I asked if she wanted to come on the ride and she nodded."  Dad gave me a grin as I grabbed a cart and loaded my bags.

I tilted my head, looking into his blue eyes.  "Where is Archer?"

"Baby brother is probably milk drunk by now with the Nanny, Georgia."

Scout perked up at the mention of her favorite person.

I hadn't met Georgia in person yet but was already aware of how much she had helped my family.  Scout had some learning delays so Dad and Mariah had her in day care but found it was a really bad fit.  She was non verbal and they were told by specialists that she may never speak.

She can sign and gesture, but words just don't happen.

Last time I was home was when Archer was born.  My sister loved looking at books and being outside but was timid.  She seemed to fear everything, no matter how hard we tried to coax her to try something new.

Not that I could blame her.  I might be a risk taker, but impulsiveness comes with its downsides.

I carried her to the car while we chatted about the flight and my plans now that I was back.  "We have the apartment above the garage ready for you, Son,"  Dad grinned as I tucked Scout into her car seat.  "I am pretty sure the little girl here helped Gi bake something earlier for you, too."

Scout giggled from her seat and the sound surprised me.

I had seen smiles but never heard a sound before.

"She's changing, Rome... Gi insists she's incredibly smart and will talk when she feels like it."

Dad's words made me pause.  I knew their Nanny had her Master's in Child Development and came highly recommended by a doctor my stepmom worked with at the hospital.  She just started about a month ago but had been getting to know everyone the last few months while nannying for the Doctor's family.