23

ROME POV

"Thanks for inviting me over," Drake said with a grin while raising his beer toward my Dad.

I had been home about 2 weeks. The spare room was now full of my clothes and electronics, more filtering downstairs each day. I was handling Archer's feeding each night after Georgia passed him over. We spoke as little as possible but Scout continued to let herself into my apartment every day then drag me downstairs for music or Candy Land.

Being around Georgia was hard, but seeing the way Drake stared at her was even harder.

She deserved a good man who was respectful and kind.

"Gi? Think we should do pizza or that Chinese place?" Dad asked while settling into his recliner.

Georgia was sitting cross legged on the floor while Archer balanced against her shoulder, pulling himself up with grunts and huffs.

"Scout? What do you think?" Georgia asked my sister.

"Hmm... egg rolls." My sister gave a bright grin so Dad ordered as requested.

Mariah was at work tonight and Dad let Drake know he could join us for dinner after the meetings we had in the office all day. I still hated being there, but it was a necessary evil.

I let out a long sigh and settled on the couch, flipping the channel to a Football game while the volume was still low. Scout brought me a book and I pulled her onto my lap, quietly reading another story about Curious George.

"So, how many new client meetings are set for next week?" Dad asked Drake while stifling a yawn.

"Just three, and they're all spread out so we won't have a marathon like today," he shared with a smile. "Sorry to have loaded your schedule like that."

I shrugged, "Has to be done. If we want business to continue then it's gotta happen."

Dad nodded and stretched his back, "Maybe we can do more lunch meetings, though... or at least get more comfortable chairs for the conference room."

Archer let out a whine and Georgia stood, lifting him to her hip. "I should get him fed..."

"I can help," I offered quickly.

She didn't object and Scout grabbed another book for Drake to read this time while we headed into the kitchen.

I had learned a lot over the days since returning home. Dad apologized for not sharing more openly but Mariah still didn't say much. I went for runs every morning and tried to work out my frustration with myself.

Georgia was civil but withdrawn.

I never prodded and kept my distance but watched her closely. She was still great with the kids but didn't speak much otherwise, even to Mariah. Georgia was never someone that openly shared about her thoughts or past, so this change was disheartening.

Now I had the chance to keep proving with my actions that I knew how much I ruined. Being consistent was a way of focusing on how I want my future to be.

"Can I get him settled in the high chair while you grab his food?" I offered, reaching for my brother.

She nodded, "Sure. I'll get the baby cereal and some bananas."

Archer was excited to eat, hands reaching for Georgia as soon as she brought his bowl to the table. The mixture smelled terrible and I noticed the way she gagged a bit while handing it over.

I chuckled lightly and took my brother's food, "Smells worse going in than coming out."

A laugh escaped Georgia and she met my eyes a moment before she caught herself.