14

GEORGIA POV

My heart was in my throat the rest of the day.

Something changed in Rome... something good?  Maybe?

This was so confusing.  Emotional whiplash was making my head spin, especially with Drake around.

Of course they were both attractive and it was nice to get to know someone new, but Drake didn't make me feel the way Rome did.  I was careful how I reacted all day, not only because we were busy with the kids but as a way of showing that I had my walls up to protect myself.

Rome's instinct was to shy away from conflict or effort. From all I knew of him, he wandered for years under the guise of career focus, all while taking some of the most incredible photographs I had ever seen.

It was obvious he loved traveling and photography so I felt an uneasy stirring.

Would he run at the first chance to get a shot of adrenaline?

We spent the rest of the day rotating and cuddling a now cranky baby who needed a nap but refused to sleep.  All of us also spent time in the pool swimming with Scout as well, even pulling out a beach ball and attempting a version of volleyball while she tried to participate. Archer loved the bottle of ice water I made him and chewed furiously, bottom teeth still not quite poking through his gums. Drake even took a few turns, rocking the little Bear while slowly strolling around the pool.

It was nice to have someone new around.  Drake was becoming a good friend, his easygoing and relaxed nature a natural fit into the way we were.  He told us about his big family with over a dozen nieces and nephews, which sounded like barely organized chaos.

No wonder he's so good with the kids.

Miles and Kayla stayed through dinner and we ate pizza at the patio table, still in swimsuits as the warm sun was starting to set. Scout was sitting in Mariah's lap while Archer gnawed a piece of crust from my arms, the group chuckling at the growls he made.

"He really is a little Bear," Drake commented with a laugh, sipping his beer.

I met his eyes and smiled, but felt a bit uncomfortable with all the attention.

I'm not stupid.

I know Max and Ry were well aware bringing Drake into the equation would give me an option besides Rome.

At the same time I was not positive how I felt.

Rome was more relaxed after his chat with Scout. I overheard part of what he said and my heart warmed at how honest and vulnerable he was in apologizing to the sweet girl. She was so disappointed after our visit to the office. Her heart had been broken, then was further shattered when he barely said Hi that evening as well as avoiding us most of yesterday.

I hated the feeling that I was intruding on their family, but had to remind myself this was why I was hired.  They chose to hire me and appreciated the work I did, especially considering how exhausted Mariah was lately.

Drake stayed past nightfall after Rome invited him to use his apartment for a shower and chance to change. I helped the kids get settled then took Scout downstairs with me while Archer went to bed early, finally falling asleep with Tylenol in his system.

Scout was curled up and laying on my pillow, watching Taylor Swift music videos on my iPad while I took a quick shower and changed. I slipped on a cozy t-shirt from college and sweats, combing out my hair before staring in the mirror.

My tan was deeper than I realized, a faint blush on my cheeks from activity and sunshine. I had been growing out my hair and grabbed a towel, rubbing it dry before opening the bathroom door.