17

ROME POV

"Glad you could meet up, man," Titus said with a wide smile, shaking my hand as I joined him at a local pub.

"Same.  I know you had to work last week when Kraig and Mark were over so it's nice to catch up."

The bartender took our orders and I looked around, glad to be at one of my old haunts with a friend I've known for years. While Kraig and Mark were womanizers like I had always been, Titus was the kind of guy that had one girlfriend through high school and most of college. He preferred long term commitment while we thrived on the thrill of the chase.

Now I understood why he gave relationships a chance. Being around Georgia showed me how things could be if I continue to allow myself to open up.

Today had been a perfect Lazy Sunday. I took a long nap, spent time with my girl, got to see my baby brother crawl for the first time, and made memories with Scout between games and playing.

What more could I want?

"So, how is the fam?" Titus asked after our beers arrived and we had shared the basics about work and our summers.  I was never as close to him as I had been to other friends, but Titus was always a good guy that was easy to talk to.

I grinned, "Great.  Scout is like a different kid now that Georgia is around.  Archer crawled for the first time this afternoon, too."

He hummed, a grin on his face.  "Damn, that's exciting.  You got to see it?"

"Yeah, Georgia has worked with him a lot so he was getting stronger but I guess today he just decided it was time."

"She's pretty incredible like that," Titus gave me a knowing look.  "Man, my brother and his family talk all the time about how much they miss her.  I know she's seen the kids a few times since starting with your family but it's not the same. Ellie wants to see her more often so Mariah is working that out with Lydia based on school and dance practice schedules."  He paused, studying me more closely.  "So... fill me in.  What made you agree to meet me on a Sunday night before you're in the office with your Dad for your first day?"

I paused, toying with a cardboard coaster.  "Did you and Georgia... get close?"

A loud laugh escaped him and he shook his head, smirk evident.  "You've got it bad, Rome."

"I'm serious, Titus.  I know you were around all summer and she mentioned the adventure camp.  Did you ever... I mean, was she comfortable with you? Did anything ever cross the line into more than..."

My heart was pounding but I knew I had to get his perspective.  Georgia was clearly not one for relationships but considering all they did together something made me wonder if our connection was just a repeat after what she had with him.

Titus was quieter, memories seeming to play in his mind.  "Kind of?  I mean, after awhile she didn't flinch when I was nearby."  His eyes met mine and he studied me a long moment.  "You know about..."

"Yeah and I made the mistake of letting Katie come over anyway."

"Fuck, Rome..."

I groaned, leaning my head back and pinching the bridge of my nose.  "I know.  I've fucked up a few times and I've only been home a week."

"Is Gi okay?  I mean, that's a lot for her to process..."

"Yeah.  She's good... really good.  I just don't want to keep wondering if..."

Titus waved a hand in a circular motion to coax me forward.  "If?"

I shook my head, laughing lightly.  "If this is just because we're in the same home, seeing each other constantly. If my feelings are clouded because of all the adrenaline of getting home and seeing how good she is with Scout and Archer." My breath escaped as I added, "If I only feel so close to her because of everything else and not a genuine connection."