3

** Reminder- this book contains triggering topics that are listed with the cover including assault, rape, drug use, alcohol use, verbal abuse, cyber bullying, loss, grief, and a lot more.  I will not be adding a notice before each chapter where these items are part of the story since that would be pretty much every chapter moving forward, so please make a note and proceed with caution.**

ROME POV

"So, is she hot?"

I groaned at Kraig's question, shaking my head as we unloaded the 12 pack of IPA he brought into the fridge and grabbed one for each of us.

I was too tired for this.

"Does it matter? She's amazing with the kids and Scout is improving."

I should have known the deflection would not work.

"That means she's hot, bro." Mark chuckled, pushing his glasses up his nose. He was more of a player than either of us but no one expected it because of his bookworm aesthetic.

It was pretty brilliant.

The guys got changed and I looked out the window, noticing Georgia in the pool.

Did she wear a one piece?

A bikini?

Shit, that would be a problem.

Kraig joined me in the kitchen and laughed as he caught me staring. "What's her story?"

I looked at him and wasn't sure how to answer. We had been best friends since middle school. I was the fat kid and he was popular but liked me for who I was.

Kraig stayed the football player every girl wanted through college, his looks garnering Prom King status while I was lucky to grow out of my chubby phase by sophomore year.

"I don't really know. Her name is Georgia. She got her Master's in Child Development and graduated like a year ago."

He paused while about to take a sip of beer, "Wait, so she's the same age as Katie?"

I let out another groan as Mark came back into the kitchen. "I didn't even think of that."

"How is your sister, Kraig?" Mark asked, chuckling at the discomfort comments like that always caused me.

He could be an ass.

I should have never dated or hooked up with my best friend's younger sister.  She was trouble, but she was also hot so I tried to remember I was making positive changes and could leave that in my past.

"The same. Waiting for Rome to get back so she can try to sink her claws in." Kraig shook his head, "She never got over you and even asked when you'd be home the other day. I didn't answer."

I chuckled, "Thanks for the small favor, man."

"So, what are we waiting for? Are the baby and Scout here?" Mark asked, peeking around the house. 

I nodded, "Archer is with Dad and Mariah at a doctor appointment and Scout is in the pool with Georgia."

"Wait... Georgia... Katie's age... you don't think..."  Mark stared at Kraig with wide eyes as looks of recognition dawned on their faces.

Damn. This can't be good.

My eyes darted between my friends with curiosity while Kraig quietly asked, "Do you know her last name?"

"No. What's going on?" I asked, now anxious.

"We'll know when we see her," Mark said, then let out a long sigh before facing me. "So do you remember there was a major disaster like a year after we graduated? My cousin Bradley was kicked out of school and put in jail..."