29

ROME POV

My body was on edge as I led Georgia toward the bathrooms.

This has been too easy.

Everything I knew about Georgia told me she kept to herself and did not spend any time in big groups, much less at night, for good reason.  It seemed lonely when we first got to know one another but now I understood.

You can protect yourself if you control some of the factors.

Life will always throw curve balls, but you can make sure you're strong enough to bat them out of the park.

I loved seeing my buddies again, especially since Georgia already has strong friendships with most of them. Kraig and Titus were so tender with her, like protective older brothers that would do anything to keep her safe. The jealousy I felt at each of their connections with my girl was gone now. I could trust her and know she has chosen to be with me.

"Rome?"

Shit.

I turned and saw the woman I had been avoiding.

Shay.

Katie was nearby and watching us, icy glare toward her frenemy.

"Rome, I'm so glad you're here!  I was hoping to run into you!"

Shay stepped closer and I backed up, hands out with my palms toward her.

Her eyes flashed with anger as she froze.  "What?  Can't be friends anymore due to that stupid liar girlfriend?"

"I want nothing to do with you, Shay," my voice was calm, firm. I knew that was the right choice, regardless of my connection to Georgia.

The bathroom door opened and what Georgia saw was more proof to her that I wanted no one else.  I was standing tall but clearly moving away while Shay was relaxed and had a patronizing look on her face.

Then I saw him.

Bradley.

"Well, then.  Georgia Keller.  It's been awhile."

Oh, fuck.

I turned to Georgia, not sure what to do, but she stood fierce and strong.

"We were just heading back to our table," her voice quivered a bit as I stepped closer, sliding my arm around her waist.  I felt her grab her phone and do something but was more focused on making sure she was safe.

This is what she has been afraid of all these years...

"Wait, you're with Rome?"  Bradley's voice was surprised.  "Shay, I thought you said Rome was back for you?"

His sister scoffed then glared at me, "That's what I thought.  What he told me."

Georgia's spine straightened and I felt the anger radiating off her in waves.  "What you say doesn't matter." Her voice grew stronger as she continued, "Bradley, you even admitted in court what you did so why the whole rumor mill from your sister and Katie telling people I was lying?  Doesn't that mean you lied on the stand which is perjury?"

Bradley glared and didn't have anything he could say.

I guided Georgia toward our table and felt her hand slip into mine.   We moved past them and were a few steps away when Bradley called, "Ohh, sweet Georgia.  I see you still show the marks we left on that perfect back of yours.  Gotta say, that was one of the high points for me."

She froze, eyes staring forward as Titus and Kraig approached with anger in their expressions.

I expected her to move to our table and ignore his words.