25

ROME POV

No.

She can't...

There's no way...

I was quiet longer than I realized, frozen in place as I tried to catch my breath, and Georgia stood to leave. I grabbed her hand, panicked, "No, please..."

She froze and looked at our joined hands, her eyes blinking back tears.

"Wait.  I got something for you.... Just wait...."

Somehow I raced to my suitcase and rifled through, finding the black bag from a jeweler in Spain.

I had a bracelet made for each of us and knew it was time.

Actions were more important than words. This was a token of my feelings for her. Something tangible to show how much I thought about her when I was gone... how deeply I regretted my actions.

Georgia sat back on the couch and absent mindedly played with her hair.  The short cut was beautiful, making her cheekbones more striking and eyes stand out.

I sat next to her, bag in hand.  "So on the way to Amsterdam I had a layover in Spain that was supposed to just be a couple hours but ended up being about 16."

"Damn," she breathed, meeting my eyes with a soft smile.  "Makes for a long day."

"I walked around Barcelona for hours, trying to take photos, trying to drown out my brain screaming at me to get on a plane and go home."  I pulled out the navy blue rectangular box, holding it in my hands, "Then I saw a jewelry store and knew I had to have this made."

Georgia stared at me with disbelief then reached out and allowed me to give her the box.

Her jaw dropped when she opened it, eyes blinking back tears as I continued pouring out my heart.

"I love you, Georgia.  I know how badly I handled everything and every time I stared at this bracelet I was... I guess just heartbroken.  I knew everything was ruined and it was my fault."  I paused a long moment then continued, reaching out to take the bracelet from its resting place.  The delicate rose gold cuff slipped onto her wrist easily, a single word inscribed on the surface.

Mine.

She watched as I extracted a small tool and attached the piece to her wrist, surprise in her expression while I choked back tears. "I knew I would come home.  I knew I would never leave again unless... unless you were with me."

"What do you mean?"  Georgia's voice was a breathy whisper as her eyes locked on mine.

"They offered me a contract for a spread in Tuscany but I refused."

She immediately shook her head, "You can't sacrifice your dreams for me."

"I refused unless they allowed me to bring someone along."

She was quiet, a soft laugh escaping while her golden eyes stared at her wrist.

Mine.

I pulled out the second box and opened it, showing her a more masculine style bracelet that matched.  She gasped and blinked rapidly while I whispered, "Would you... I mean, I got this also and hoped..."

This bracelet was also inscribed with the word Mine.

Georgia nodded, wiping away a happy tear before slipping the bracelet on my left wrist. Her hands shook while she attached it with the small tool, a smile appearing when the job was done.

"I want you by my side... I want to travel the world with you, exploring every corner with your hand in mine."  She laughed while tears streamed down her face and I smiled, continuing, "I want to wander around castles in Germany, making up stories about the people that used to live there.  I want to have fish and chips, cheering for Liverpool football in a pub in London.  I want to keep roaming the world but only... only if you go with me."