28

GEORGIA POV

My heels clicked against the pavement as we jogged across the street by the bar. Titus let us know to meet inside since they already had a corner booth saved.

I was nervous.

More than ever.

It was the first time I was out like this in years, choosing to go to a crowded bar full of people I didn't know. My mind flashed to the campfire I joined with Titus and how well we got along with the camp counselors, easily slipping into their small group, and I knew tonight was far different.

Tonight Rome had my hand locked into his.

When Titus asked me to join previously I was always home before it got too late. My body would start to fill with anxiety if the bar became crowded and I saw it was getting dark. I would watch the exits and keep on alert so I could protect myself.

Knowing how to handle myself even when I was struggling through a panic attack was a great skill, but I preferred that not be an issue in public when possible.

I could feel the nervous energy pouring off Rome's body but relaxed a bit knowing he was by my side.  The rideshare got us here quickly and I was glad he made the choice not to drive.  That meant we could both enjoy ourselves without worrying about how to get home safely.

Mariah helped me get ready earlier while Scout watched.  She insisted I wear a backless black silk top that draped over my body and was tied at the neck with a bow. I chose dark wash jeans and had my phone, cash, and ID in my pocket.  My hair was in more defined waves, now freshly trimmed so it stayed above my shoulders, and I had gone with more dynamic makeup than usual.  The winged eyeliner was perfectly crisp and my cheekbones had highlighter that made my whole face look more like the girls I usually saw when we were out.

I never tried to look a certain way, but tonight I wanted to put more effort into my appearance. It felt like a big deal to be hanging out with Rome in public, especially now that the guys he has known for years are my friends as well.

My bracelet was glimmering in the light at the bar when I looked down to see Rome's fingers wrapped around mine. Once inside we gave one another a long look before weaving through strangers  with his hand now on my bare back, quickly finding Titus, Mark, Kraig, and a few other friends around a corner booth.

"Gi!  Rome!"  Kraig boomed, jumping out of his seat while we approached.  "Come on over!  I'll get this round- what do you want to start with?"

"Same as you have for me, Kraig. Rome?" I asked, turning to the man I love.

He grinned, "Goes for me, too."

Kraig slipped back into the crowd so he could head to the bar.  I had joined them here before and knew he had a crush on a pretty redheaded bartender that worked most evenings.  She was really sweet and always kind when I spoke to her so I approved.

I like people that are easy to be around. Eve loved being a bartender and was thoughtful while staying firm considering all the drunk jerks she has to manage each night.

Titus gave me a quick hug then shook Rome's hand, ushering us into the booth.  "Glad you two could join us!  Haven't seen you since the Amsterdam trip, man.  How are things going?"

Rome slipped his arm over my shoulders, bracelet visible under the wrist of his Henley shirt.  "Been busy doing graphic design work for Dad, hanging with the kids, getting time with Georgia."

Our friend grinned, "I'm happy for you two.  I knew you'd figure things out eventually."

Kraig rejoined us and looked toward the bar with a long sigh, handing us our drinks.