5

ROME POV

Dad cracked open a beer and clapped Mark on the shoulder after he approached. "How are you guys doing?"

He was always friendly with my buddies, picking us up if we needed a ride and allowing them to crash at our place if there were issues at home. Mark's parents had a messy divorce when we were 15 and he was in our guest room more than home for a good stretch of the winter.   Even after it was finalized he spent plenty of time at our place, with Kraig joining us more often than not thanks to his sister Katie being ... well, Katie.

"Great, Max. Thanks for letting us come by today," Kraig said with a grin, raising his beer in a toast. "We were just talking to Rome about why he decided to move home."

I felt myself tense but Dad let out a soft chuckle. "You guys aren't giving him a hard time about wanting to settle down?"

"Of course. It's what bro's do," Mark said with a shrug. He paused, then asked, "So, how do you guys like Georgia?"

Dad grinned, letting out a laugh. "I hope you three were on your best behavior. She's a sweet gal and has been amazing with the kids."

"We're always on our best behavior," Kraig insisted which made us laugh.

He's the worst of us.

"Where did you go for lunch?" I asked, trying to switch topics as fast as possible.

"French bistro downtown. Ry loves their Croque Madame," he grinned, "It's a great menu but a bit too snobby for my taste.  Archer slept the whole time, though, so it was nice to get a little time with my wife."

We chuckled as Mariah and Scout rejoined us. My sister quickly found her lifejacket and Dad headed inside to change while I applied more sunscreen and prepared to tread water.

Scout started to peek around the pool a moment and I could see the wheels turning in her head. I crouched down after taking off my shirt and put my hand on her shoulder. "Scout, are there grown ups here?"

Her eyes lit up and she grinned, then nodded happily.

"Do you promise not to run?

Another smile and nod, before I laughed and said, "Well after the nap you took I know you will take a break if needed so I think that means we're ready."

Mariah watched us with a soft smile and I let my sister tug me to the shallow end of the pool. Kraig and Mark joined us while Ry sat on the steps and watched, cheering for Scout while she swam back and forth.

Georgia rejoined us a few moments later with a fresh pitcher of ice water and Archer's monitor in hand. Scout perked up and climbed the steps, walking carefully to her Nanny then taking her hand once she set everything down on the table.

I saw Georgia grin and shuck off her romper then watched as she dove into the deep end, allowing Scout to stand and get ready to jump. Mariah walked around and held her daughter's hand before handling the "Ready, Set , Go!" and jumping in.

It was adorable to watch. Georgia easily tread water and caught Scout while she paddled around then headed to the shallow end where I stood cheering. Mariah popped up and coughed a little then swam toward us as well.

"I don't think I can get used to that, but I'm glad you love being out here as much as Scout does, Gigi," she said with a laugh, shaking her head. "This little Duckling does not take after her mama. I am much happier in the shade with a cold drink."

"That's what I'm here for," Georgia said with a grin while Scout reached my arms. I lifted her and she reached for the ladder so I walked over and let her lead the way.  She climbed out then turned around, her hand reaching for mine.