10

GEORGIA POV

"Ohhh, my back is killing me," Mariah said with a long sigh, perched on the edge of the hot tub while her feet slipped into the water. "I would get in but I just... I mean, I know it's cool enough but still."

I gave her a bright smile, sipping my beer as I settled against two of the jets. "You don't have to explain it to me, Ry. We'll do all we can to get you the rest you need so this one sticks."

Max and Mariah had confided in me early on about their issues conceiving.  Miscarriage is a devastating loss, so I was grateful they trusted me to take on extra duties around the house.  This allowed her more rest which was sorely needed.

The kids went to bed easily tonight. Scout was exhausted but sweetly held Max's neck as he carried her to bed. Archer was also wiped and I knew would sleep soundly after all the excitement today.  He was so active and eager to move as much as he could.

Crawling would start to happen soon.  Then all of us would be on high alert.

Max had a little work to do but assured us he would join soon. Rome ran up to his apartment to change, his attention devoted to his little brother and sister after all the drama.

"So, Georgia Elizabeth... wanna unpack this?"

Ry's question made me let out a long sigh. "Well, Mariah Jane,  I am not sure how much to unpack. I mean, of course I'm flattered I guess that Miles thought he had to lie so his fiancee wasn't jealous but it was a disaster waiting to happen."

She nodded sagely, "My little bro has always been a dumbass."

I chuckled, shaking my head. "Look, it's not like I think I'm not worthy of love or not attractive or any of that shit. I know what I bring to the table... I just also don't want to get my head too far in the wrong direction."

"You really are Elinor Dashwood," she laughed, sipping her ginger ale. "Always resignation and acceptance. Always prudence and honor and duty. Georgia, where is your heart?"

The quote from "Sense and Sensibility" made me laugh but also caused something inside me to ache.

I always kept my guard up so being vulnerable in any way made me anxious.  Mariah and I were good friends but it made me uncomfortable to have someone in my head so consistently.

"Piracy is our only option," I quoted back after a pause, causing a cascade of giggles. Max came jogging out and looked between us.

"You're gonna be a pirate, Gi?" he asked, sinking into the water near his wife and grabbing a beer from the 6 pack I brought outside.

""Sense and Sensibility", Max. Georgia is the older sister, Elinor, while I'm definitely a Marianne," Ry explained, leaning down to kiss her husband's cheek.

He hummed, "Ahh okay. Jane Austen. Got it."

"You really are a Marianne, Ry," I mused, offering a warm smile. "Full of passion and protective fierceness, wanting love to be such a burning flame. Neither of us have anything to tell, me because I conceal everything and you because you hide nothing."

Max chuckled, "That does track."

Rome joined us moments later, his abs glistening in the glow of fairy lights around the hot tub.  I tried not to stare but it was getting more difficult considering how much time we spent in the pool.

He was different today.  More engaged with the kids, helpful, attentive.  Even being in the kitchen while we baked brownies was relaxing.  Scout loved time with her older brother so I wanted to do all I could to encourage their bond.